Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
meadow_lark

Low growing, drought tolerant shrubs for a lousy looking hillside

meadow_lark
12 years ago

So... our yard and property lost 48 trees in August, when that big wind storm blew through Southern Maryland... (Oak, pine, dogwood, cedar all came down...) Our area was hit very hard...

We are left with a southern-facing hillside that once was wooded, that is now close to barren. The soil is clay... and is awful to work with... so we realize we will have to add amendments as we go... We've tried putting mulch on it... but of course... it runs right back down the slope. The hill looks like Godzilla came through, chomped my trees, and then took a major leak on it for good measure!

I'm drawing up sketches, and trying to figure out what to do... Putting in terraces would be extremely expensive... and so I'm looking at "living" options.

So far, I've put in some iris, buddleia, a Japanese Maple, a viburnum, a smoke bush, and a red flowering buckeye... There are 3 baby oaks that survived, a couple of sweet gum, and 2 small cedars.

I would like to make some long sweeps (groupings) of low-growing plants, and I'm considering the following: Buddleia Low and Behold "Lilac Chip", Fragrant Sumac "Gro Low", and Russian Sage. I could use a few more suggestions. NO VINCA, NO PACHYSANDRA! The previous home owners planted that all over, and it's invading everywhere! I'd also like to stay away from junipers, as this area will need quite a bit of upkeep (due to the remaining pines and sweet gum)... Junipers are hard to work around...

I'd appreciate any suggestions! Thanks so much... Shelley

Comments (7)

Sponsored