Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cfmuehling

Japanese Maple Sources

cfmuehling
17 years ago

Someone asked me where I bought my JM collection. I thought I'd post my sources here, since I've been buying from them now for over 3 years and 150+ trees.

I do buy them on eBay. I tried picking things up locally, but can't afford $50.00+ per tree. Despite my collecting, I'm willing to wait, so the size isn't paramont. I buy grafted only, and they come anywhere from 12" to 30" tall. It depends. Plus, every once in awhile, I'll buy a 1 gallon size, ($39.00 - $49.00) if it's something I was really looking for.

Of course, there is no affiliation, but I'd be honored if you told them I referred you to them. I am comfortable with each of them. These vendors take care with their trees, are flexible as far as combining orders, will swap out a different tree if you happen to get carried away and buy two or three of the same thing, etc.

Pam Leder

Cedric of Japanese Maple & Confiers

Frank of Cal Maples

Elaine Hall I want to say of Hall Nurseries, and she only lists in the fall

John Herter

Jill of Oregon Grown Nursery.

All will combine shipping, which might seem high. However, I've never, ever had a tree arrive dry, unpotted, or damaged. I suck it up and pay it, because I know the gorgeous little trees are going to be perfect.

There are a couple I'm not fond of, and a couple I'm trying this year. I won't post a negative opinion, but you're welcome to email me if you want to check if I've have experience with someone. Know what I mean, beans?

I forgot to say that I pot them, then plant them in the gardens. I try to find an optimal spot, then I plant them. I need some that take more sun, so that can be an issue, since most need some afternoon shade. I have had some luck with some beautiful sun trees, though! :)

Good luck!

C.

Comments (41)

• spanaval
    17 years ago

Christine, there is a really good (so I've heard) resource nearby, Eastwood Nurseries. I have no idea how their prices compare, and thought I'd let you know. I have ordered JMs from ForestFarm, which has a fabulous selection of just about anything you'd want. It's unfortunate for me (and fortunate for my wallet) they're on the other coast, and the shipping costs are high.

Here is a link that might be useful: Eastwood Nurseries

• cfmuehling
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thanks, Suja.
    That's the problem, though, is that locally they're SO expensive. Thanksgiving Farms over past Frederick has a gorgeous selection, too, but $$$$$$$$. Did I mention $$$$?

Mountain Maples, I think, is within driving distance, too. Someone from whom I get a great catalogue, though.

C.

• thistle5
    17 years ago

Christine,
    It was probably me asking about your sources & now I don't know whether to bless you or curse you! (I am joking, of course, I'm very grateful). I have a small yard & my J. maple collection is tucked in almost every available corner. I've bought some of mine from the Ft. Belvoir Home & Garden center (from Hines), most from Della Conway of J & D's Backyard Nursery-I have a 'Tiger Rose' arriving next week.

It's funny, I work at an excellent garden center & they have a very good collection of JMs, but even with my discount, it's cheaper to buy them elsewhere. I think I may have to start buying smaller plants, pot them up, & worry about moving to a larger space in the future! Thanks again...Linda

• cfmuehling
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Linda,
    I buy saplings. 1, 2 year old grafts. I pot them, then bury them in their posts. I do this to see where they might or not thrive. They all grow, so it's just a matter of time.

Oh - I try to wait until their dormant to repot them, because as they get larger, they out-root their pots, so I have to pull them out.

Do you know of anyone who is teaching bonsai techniques? I don't want to get into that, but they teach you the best care of the roots of smaller JMs. As long as I'm potting, I kind of think I should know this.

I don't have a Tiger Rose. I better look it up. I might need one. I'm going to try to find J&D.

Christine

• thistle5
    17 years ago

Christine,
    Next to your collection, mine is small, 14 trees, but thanks to you letting me know your suppliers, I have 8 more small trees on the way (where am I going to put them?)

The trees I've purchased from Della are 3-4 yr. old, grafted trees, generally $60-70, my garden center sells comparable trees from $150.00+. I don't know about bonsai teachers, but several of my bosses, after learning I have a few JMs, have given me tips on pruning & potting up.

After this cold spell, I'm hoping that everything will be ok, I still remember last fall, when I was getting lots of potted trees in,& my neighbor said, "I hope you're not going to plant anything too close to the fence & shade out my peonies"-I was thinking, "These maples are lovelier than your peonies"...

• grantman
    17 years ago

Local sources in Bethesda have worked well for me for potted trees. Email me re details.
    Sometimes just scouting your neighborhood will yield seedlings from nice people.

• cfmuehling
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Grantman, I'd love to email you, but Gardenweb is rejecting the mail.
    Can you offer sources here? I've not found anything local I could afford!

Thanks,
    Christine

• thistle5
    17 years ago

Christine,
    Thanks to your list of sources, I have alot of new little maples here-from Pam Leder-Germaine's Gyration & Shigitatsu Sawa (I have larger trees of these 2, but I love them both), Shishigashira, Hanami Nishiki, Berrima Bridge, Beni Hime, & Ao Kanzashi & from John Herter-Green Elf, Van den Akker, Tsukushigata, & First Ghost. Now, I just need to come up with a plan to integrate all these JMs on my rapidly shrinking(the lawn, that is) lot, without it looking like a pot ghetto...Thistle

• cfmuehling
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I lost 3 this winter, it's starting to look like. I'm bummed, but at the price they are online, I can afford to replace them.

Bury the pots. :)
    You got a First Ghost, huh? I've never gotten any of the Ghost series, but they're all beautiful.

Welcome to the wonderful world of JM arranging. A pot here, a pot there, [G]

Christine

• philipw2
    17 years ago

As much as I love the idea of paying $ rather than $$$ for a JM, I worry about the youth of these plants. The Seiryu on Ebay is only 4-5 inches high. How long is that going to take to reach say 2-3 feet, ie enough to makes its foliage interesting? Also what is the survival rate of those plants? If you lose enough $ becomes $$$. Christine, what is your survival rate like for these younguns?

Thanks.

• cfmuehling
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I have no idea how long it takes any of these trees to grow to any height, because they're all different.

I can tell you that my survival rate is pretty darned good, if you ignore the groundhogs and rabbits that have eaten them down to just abobe their grafts.

A 1-year graft is commonly found and no reputable dealer would seel you a 1-year if it were anything but sound. I can tell you the foliage, from even the very nubs of spring buds to the last dry fall leaf has never ceased to be awe-inspiring. I say, "Wow!" a lot.

From the stunning pink of the Geisha, to the strange and gorgeous snowy, veiny Peaches and Cream, to the gorgeous Reds, the green Verdis or Green Mist with their bright red seed pods? There is never a dull moment. Don't get me started on fall!

As I've mentioned, I pot them and plant the pots. This permits me to move them around until I find what is optimal in my yard.

If you also look a bit harder, you'll find trees that are 2-3 years old, and up to 1 gallon. Depending upon the natural habit of the JM, I might also look for someone (usually Pam Leder) offering a high graft. This gives you 1-3' in grafted height.

These have all, to a one, been healthy plants that have thrived. I have had trouble with a couple over the years that I bought as late as November, that didn't make it through the winter, but then, I have those I've bought in January that looked dead (sticks) when they arrived and have done extremely well.

Frankly, Philip, if you're paying $ rather tah $$$, what's the difference if don't get something that grows 2-3' a year and is 10'? For the color and interest, let alone the pleasure the varities' differences give me? I'm more patient, evidently, than many.

But then, the way people snap these babies up online? I'm not alone.

Christine

• philipw2
    17 years ago

Thanks, Christine. This is a great idea and the links are very good. I am going to follow your recipe: buy them small, pot them and move them around until you get them perfectly sited. I have wanted a larger collection of JMs but was always frightened by the price tag. I am bidding on ebay right now for a Beni Komache, which I have coveted for years.

• cfmuehling
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I have to tell you that all yesterday and this afternoon I'll continue when it gets hot, I've been checking the posts and moving them around to more optimal (I hope) locations. If they've gotten a little big for their pot, of course, they get a new one.

I realized I've been doing this for 3 years now. I have a fantastic 'Peaches and Cream', 'Corillium' (GORGEOUS!), and a 'Seriyu' and about 5 others that are close to or just over 3' tall. These, I'm putting up on the porch in pretty pots this summer.

So althouh they start small, they're constant entertainment! I tried journaling to record seasonal color, but without a camera, it's pretty hard. I can tell you, though, any of them that include the word 'sunset' are FABULOUS. 'Chatilly Lace', 'Beni Komache', 'Yama Hime' and a bunch others just stop me cold almost every day, they're so pretty.

For the record, there are some that take my unimaginable heat and full sun. They're usually the big-leaved (vs. filagree or lace leafed) red type. 'Butterfly' and gorgous, pink 'Geisha' are two exceptions that take absolute full sun.

I hope you win, Philip!
    OH!! Don't lose your tags. It is virtually impossible to identify one of these if you do. Unfortunately, I have a 5 year one I bought and I've lost the tag. I'm going to keep trying to ID it, but I think I'm stuck. I tend to give these away at some point. Ah well.

C.

• cfmuehling
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I just laughed at my typos.
    I was saying, that what's the difference if it's a slow grower when you can buy it for $10.00, not 10'. Or, if it gets eaten or frozen? It's $10.00 or an expensive Annual. [LOL]

I just bid on a couple I've lost over the couple of years. I want to replace a Tana, Attaryi, Red Crusader, Aobo ja and a couple more. Frankly, looking at my wins and losses? I'm coming out way ahead.

Anyway,
    Have fun and let me know how you do on the auction.

C.

• philipw2
    17 years ago

Chronicling via digital camera. Another great idea.

Won Seiryu. Lost Beni Komachi. The Seiryu is supposed to be 20" tall so its a big one. And hopefully will do well in a shady part of my garden. I buy enough shrubs that I always have pots.

Thanks again.

• thistle5
    17 years ago

Philip,
    You will grow to love all of them, despite their size. I have several larger ones (about 4 yr. plants, nothing really large) from Della at J & D's & other sources & now, alot of smaller ones from 2 of the sources that Christine provided, Pam Leder & John Herter. This year, my challenge will be to overwinter these smaller plants, all of the larger ones I had in the ground & in nursery & pottery containers last year did just fine.

Right now, I'm admiring Germaine's Gyration (I like this so much, I got a smaller one), Kinran, Shigitatsu Sawa, Tiger Rose. I have a Scolopendrifolium in the worst possible spot, on the west side near a fence, under pine trees-it gets no regular watering, but it's beautiful! They all have their own particular beauty, I just need more land to spread them out! Hope you enjoy all your trees...

• cfmuehling
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thistle,
    I've tried for Germaine a bunch of times, but I have to hold myself to a smaller price, if not smaller tree. Bummer!

I have all the ones you mentioned other than the Tiger Rose. Gotta get that one.

Don't be concerned about overwintering the smaller ones. Do just the same thing. Somewhat sheltered, in pots, mulched. You'll be very pleased.

Either of you guys interested in a small Octapus? I bought two by mistake or enthusiasm, whichever is which. It was $12.00 and I'll eat the shipping if you'd like it. It's small to start with, but is also a lace-leafed dwarf with fabulous color. I love these babies!

Keep trying, Philip, on the Komachi. The Seiryu I have is now about 3' tall and the color on this one makes it another of my favorites. If you can get your hands on an Inaba Shidare, or Koto Maru, you'll be extremely pleased, too.

Recently I find myself going for different foliage. Maku Jaku is gorgeous. Atrolineare's branches turn black in the fall with brilliant color. I have one that's leaves curl, then another where they're a cupped star.

I haven't found any boring other than during their usual, summer color. I have caged (now) 22 reds. All larger leaved types that can take sun. A bunch of the greens with larger leaves are also together. I just use them for backdrops until the fall (or spring) when everything else is gone and they are alone to shine.

Philip, who did you buy from? I'd greatly appreciate it if you guys would let these vendors know of my recommendation. They've been great to me, holding stuff, replacing stuff when something was purchased late and didn't make the winter, subbing when I got carried away and bought two of something, etc. Very nice.

I can chit-chat about this all day. If you're coming to the swap, I'll bring a copy of my inventory. :)

Christine

• thistle5
    16 years ago

Christine,
    I'd love to have your Octopus! I can't seem to send an email through GardenWeb, but my address is noble94@earthlink.net-if you could drop me a line, we can work out the details (I'll be home from Holly, Woods, & Vines after 3-boy, it's a madhouse these days!). I think with my rapidly shrinking space available, I may have to concentrate on dwarf varieties...I think I did mention to the vendors that you had recommended me. Tiger Rose is gorgeous, but another one that's surprising me is Kinran-it's purple & green, with the odd red leaf here & there-very cool! Linda

• cfmuehling
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Kinran is stunning. I have to say, I'm becoming a bit jaded. The ironic thing is that I die for the color red, but my Bloodgood and Boskoop Glory, strong, always-red trees are boring me. Can you imagine?

Are you coming to the swap, Linda? I can just bring it. I'll drop you a note, but if you don't get it it's because Earthlink has blocked me as a spammer, so I'm working with them to get my email released.

Philip, I found that Pam Leder has another Beni Komache up for 9.99. [evil chuckle] Lemme feed your new habit....

Christine

• philipw2
    16 years ago

Christine,

I bought from Pam Leder, but haven't received it yet.

I have already put a watch on the Beni Komachi and the coralinum as well. Thanks for the heads up.

Eventually I'l have to go after an Autumn Moon, but those hit the $50 range. Maybe after I get my sea legs.

Have fun at the swap.

• thistle5
    16 years ago

Christine,
    I won't be able to come to the swap, I'm working all weekend. I know what you mean about reds-I have Garnet, Inabe Shidare, & Iijima Sunago, all planted in partial shade, & they're not really red anymore, but I prefer green & bronze anyway.

Philip, I had a friend corner me at the busstop this morning to tell me she saw a gorgeous tree at my work, but didn't see a tag. She came in today & we found a tag, it was a corallinum, about $230. I told her about Della, at J&D-she has one listed, with some leaf damage from the frost. One thing I really love about buying from Della is that she will send you pictures (if they're not already posted on her site) of the tree you are getting. It makes it hard to abstain from buying new trees!

• philipw2
    16 years ago

Thistle5, I have often looked at her site. I debated putting in a JM hedge last year after some red-twigged verigated dogwoods died of black stem. She seemd nice.

Meanwhile I got my seiryu today. This weekend I pot it up. I
    presume that like other maples their roots are wider than deeper, so the pots should be wider than deeper.

• cfmuehling
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Linda,
    If you like the bronzeing reds or purples, would you like some Heuchera Purple Palace? I've dug up and divided all of mine because I don't care for it. We could get together later and make the trade.

Philip, maples are notorious for surface roots that clog everything up. These aren't much of an exception, other than that they're smaller. The rule of repotting anything, is to go 1'' larger than the previous pot. They fill the container first, then put out top growth, so you want them to feel a little big confined. Of course, make it deep enough to accommodate their major root structure. They'll probably grow out through the holes by the end of the season or at least next spring. No biggie. I pull or cut them out, "comb" the roots a bit and back into the next pot they go!

Do you guys know World Plants? And there is someone else in our area who is a big vendor (I'll remember later). I was glad to find them, since it gives us a more accurate idea of how our trees will react.

If you can find a nice Corallium for $230? Decent sized for that price? GRAB IT.

I am currently concerned that a Dissectum Nigrum and Tomaya nishiki might not make it. Their new foliage was frozen off during the last cold (filagreed leaves), and they're not putting out anything new yet. These two, of course, are beautiful, too.

Linda, think about getting together. I'm not adverse to traveling. :)
    Christine

• leslies
    16 years ago

This discussion has been a revelation to me - it never occurred to me to buy one of these on eBay. I paid a boatload of money in price and shipping for the Aoyagi I have from ForestFarm that probably wasn't much more than 12 inches tall - though it has thrived and grown quite a bit.

Thanks for the info, Christine. I can see I need more of these!

• spanaval
    16 years ago

> Thanks for the info, Christine. I can see I need more of these!

Why am I getting the strong urge to sing 'Another One Bites the Dust'? Maybe y'all ought to tell each other when you're bidding for something, so you aren't competing against each other.

• cfmuehling
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I'm on 6 right now.
    I've just finished buying about 10 different hosta. Someone and I are buying different places, dividing and trading.

And I, who has very little shade.
    C.

• thistle5
    16 years ago

Christine,
    We definitely should try to get together, I'm about 1/2 mile south of Mt. Vernon, & I could show you around my garden center (I get a decent employee discount). Our owners are real plant people & we have lots of unusual stuff, as well as a great collection of maples. All of ours were outside in nursery pots last winter, we just bagged up leaves & piled them around the outsides of rows of 2 or 3.

I LOVE heuchera, went crazy last year buying about 10 new varieties, alot of them are under the maples lanted in the yard. I'd love any divisions of heuchera you can spare, I have a huge beech tree on the side that nothing grows under, except for 1 lone green heuchera, which is reaching shrublet proportions.

I have so many different plant addictions that I'm trying to resist the hosta bug (although I do have a few)...

• philipw2
    16 years ago

"And I, who has very little shade."

The rest of us should be so lucky.

Well. I am in on a Coralinum auction with Pam Leder. I have my doubts though. 4-6 inches seems awfully small. I know it takes a while to get to the 3 meter stage, but how long does it take to get from bonsai stage to a foot or 2?

• cfmuehling
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Peter, who knows?
    They're out west somewhere, so even here we have such varied weather within the same zone, nothing they have to say applies.

I can tell you, though, that all the raves about this plant are valid!

Linda, it takes a lot to get me over into Virginia. I won't say it won't happen, but O, God, it's so confusing and stressful. But I would love to see your garden center. :)

Did you ever see the now-discontinued heuchera 'Confetti'? I have 'Mardi Gras' and am amazed at its foliage. 'Confetti' sounded great, but evidently was unreliable. Go figure.

I love my Heuchera, Tiarella and Heucherella! OH! Do you have 'Ebony and Ivory'? The voles got mine...

• thistle5
    16 years ago

I don't have 'Ebony & Ivory' & I was so scattered -brained last year (well, this year, too :) that I didn't label anything, so I don't know who the survivors are. This year, the only new ones I got were Peach Melba, Cafe Ole, Sashay, & Green Spice.

I know what you mean about traveling, I rarely cross the river myself these days, maybe something will come up & our paths will cross. I would love to see your maples (& all your other plants, too). Things are quite hectic right now at HWV (people are quitting left & right, everyone's putting in extra hours to cover the slack), but once my kids are out of school on June 18th, I go on 'hiatus'-much more time to work in my own garden...

• dawnstorm
    16 years ago

If anyone wants a freebie, let me know and I'll dig up a seedling--Lord knows I've got plenty!
    DawnPalkaATverizonDOTnet

• arial
    16 years ago

Hello. I'm so glad I came upon your postings. I am awaiting the arrival of a JM "Beni Hime". Although the vendor (in its description of the tree) states that it would do well in a container, the customer service rep. says that it needs to be put in the ground. I still want to try it in a container but I am unsure as to what size container. Can anyone help me out in this regard? I would appreciate it very much. I eventually would like to try others if this works out for me. Thanks.

• cfmuehling
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Look at worldplants.com for a blurb, or just do a search.

All trees do better in the ground, growing taller, etc. Bonsai or container growing is just fine, but you need to pay it greater attention and it will grow more slowly.

I have a Beni Hime. It is, of course, beautiful!
    C.

• arial
    16 years ago

Christine. Thanks for responding. I don't really have much space and I wanted a beautiful dwarf JM for my patio, which is why I picked this one. I understand it can be difficult to grow, though. Can you recommend any others for containers?

• cfmuehling
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Nope.
    I'm far from an expert, just an OCD collector.
    As I've mentioned (a bunch of times) I pot them and plant the pots.

There are some good JM feeding and caring books out there, but for some dumb reason, I've not picked any up. I have a ton of credits at Borders. Perhaps I should just do that.

C.

• philipw2
    16 years ago

arial,

Forest Farm has an extensive collection of JM (Acer Palmatum). Their catalog has a description of each variety, its foliage colors and growth habits. You can look through there and decide what sounds appealing.

Your public library might also have a very good book called Japanese Maples by J.D. Vertrees that describes several hundred cultivars in detail. His couple of pages of discussion of containers state that most types of JM can be successfully grown in containers. He says that the dissectum group (aka thread or cut leaf varieties) and the dwarfs do especially well in containers.

Here is a link that might be useful: Forestfarm

• maplecollector
    16 years ago

I prefer quality Japanese maples that are grafted. For quality Japanese maples you may want to consider Pacific Coast Maples in Southern California. Sooner Plant Farm is also recommended.

Here is a link that might be useful: http://www.pacificcoastmaples.com

• pansycrazy
    15 years ago

Hi - you keep mentioning that you pot the JM's. I bought an inabe shidare (laceleaf about 30 inches tall )and wish to re-pot, but have no idea what the best potting medium would be. Any help would be greatly appreciated, as this is my first, and I'm already in love (I see more in my future!).

• philipw2
    15 years ago

I use plain vanilla potting soil bought at any garden center or hardware store. I add some water grabber crystals, because of our frequent droughts and my frequent desire to go away during said droughts.

I have not as many as Christine. But 6 or 7 different cultivars in one gallon pots. The plants seem happy and are growing.

• philipw2
    15 years ago

Is it just me. But does the number of varieties of JM available on EBay seem to have grown. I wonder if they have saturated the market. I am seeing Golden full moons and shishi gashira going down to the wire without bids.

• kigitrees
    14 years ago

Ebay is becoming very saturated with trees. Buyer beware lots of different qualities from nursery to nursery/backyard hobbiest.

Sponsored
Remodel Repair Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Westerville