Return to the Mid-Atlantic Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Otto Luyken

Posted by dorry2 md (My Page) on
Wed, Apr 13, 11 at 9:33

Do the deer generally stay away from all cultivars of Otto Luyken? Also, is it true that deer will generally not "dine" while standing on a hard surface (patio, street) but prefer a softer surface - grass, dirt? I have never heard this and am questioning this comment from a landscape designer. Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Otto Luyken

• Posted by suja z7 noVA (My Page) on
    Fri, Apr 15, 11 at 17:57

Don't know about Otto Luykens, but they will certainly eat while standing on hard surfaces. My neighbor gave up on the hostas she kept on her patio in planters because that was prime deer chow.

o

We had several Luykens at our home in Montgomery County for over 10 years and I never saw any evidence that the omnipresent deer ever touched them - can't say the same for my tomatoes, unfortunately!

o

We have a whole family of deer living in the woods behind my house. I have Otto Luykens in my foundation plantings along the front of my house, and the deer have never come near them. However, we have 2 large, noisy dogs who pee all over the yard and bark at anything that moves, so the deer might be staying away because of them!

I don't know about the other comment (that they won't eat from a hard surface); I'd imagine if they were hungry enough they'd eat from wherever they wanted.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Mid-Atlantic Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here