Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lynnt_gw

River Farm plant sale last weekend

lynnt
19 years ago

Last Friday and Saturday was the latest big plant sale in the area, in my opinion MUCH better than the National Arboretum sale for both prices and variety. Only Green Springs and Blandy match this, IMHO. I went Friday morning for the best non-member pickings to the American Horticultural Society's River Farm, south of Alexandria -- I was good and spent less than $150 on over 20 plants, including a variegated lilac Dappled Dawn, a variegated columbine, three lovely heucheras (an unnamed one like Color of Beauty but with a hot-pink rim on each leaf, Snow Angel and Marmalade), chartreuse sambucus Sutherland Gold, a cimifugia/bugbane relative called Doll's Eyes I've been wanting for years, a dozen or so cute small perennials for $3.00 each, a Chinese panda-faced ginger, a fern with a line of chartreuse down the center of each frond (I'd found this dryopteris before but it didn't make it through the winter), fuchsia magellanica Ricartonii, dwarf monarda Petit Monet, ceanothus Gloire de something (too bad they didn't have the darker blue Victoria) -- you get the idea. I successfully resisted a saucer magnolia that blooms golden-yellow flushed with peach, but now I'm sorry I did. Likewise the wonderful heirloom veggie plants. Lazy SS Plant Farm came up for the occasion, as did Wierd Dude's Plant Zoo, Morningside Farm, and more.

I should have posted this Saturday to gove the rest of you a shot at it -- sorry!

Did anyone else go to River Farm? What did you come home with?

Lynn

Comments (5)

Sponsored