Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cfmuehling

May 12th Memorial for Vlad

cfmuehling
17 years ago

Morning, all.

I received this from Eric last night:

>>I plan on having people gather at 1 PM on Saturday, May 12th. I figure that people will be here by 1:30, and at that point, IÂd like to start by recounting stories and memories of VladÂs life.

So I'm putting my thoughts together.

>>WeÂre going to plant trees, with VladÂs ashes, and a friend from Japan who will be in town will play a piece on the shakuhachi. Then IÂm going to put up a name sign for the farm. IÂve finally found a good name for it: the "Second Chance Farm." IÂll tell the story of that name as my contribution. Then weÂll have a toast and then have BBQ.

>>Can you bring some baked good  a bread or a dessert? ThatÂs what I hope people can contribute.

>>See you on May 5th (at the swap).

>>Eric

I hope you're all planning to come. It will be a beautiful time to be in the country. Vlad was always so proud of his gardens and loved having visitors.

Let me know if you have any questions or need directions, etc. Again, my email from Gardenweb doesn't seem to work, so I'm Christine at EveningsFall dot com.

Thanks!

Christine

Comments (10)

• giverny
    17 years ago

I couldn't make last Fall's swap and I literally haven't visited the GardenWeb since last summer because my son, a US Marine, deployed to Iraq and I so consumed by that. He returned this past Friday to Camp Lejeune, NC and back home to Maryland this past Tuesday. With him safely home, I suddenly realized it was nearing swap time and logged in. I couldn't believe the first thing I saw was this thread about Vlad's memorial. I am shocked and saddened by the news, but will always smile when I remember his "G'Day" greeting in his emails!
    Mea

• cfmuehling
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Hi, Mea.
    I'm glad your son is safe. It's perfectly understandable why you'd be preoccupied. I'm hoping for you that he's not redeployed!

It's funny, isn't it? None of us are busom buddies, but we all share a common thread. Each of our personalities are a pearl on that thread. With one pearl lost, we'll have a little gap on our string.

Hope you can make the swap and the memorial.
    Christine

• cfmuehling
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Morning, all!

Eric and Vlad's friend Eve, who is helping Eric organize, has asked a couple more thoughts. If you're coming (and I truly hope you are), can you bring a bright bouquet of spring flowers (and a vase:)? This would be for the tables and Vlad would have just loved it.

Also, Eric is putting together CDs for friends of Vlad's gardens, Vlad in his gardens, etc. If you happen to have any photos of Vlad, perhaps from the swaps, etc., he'd love to add them. You can email me or send them to me and I'd forward them on.

Christine at EveningsFall dot com.

C.

• oogy4plants
    16 years ago

Bump!

Who's going?

Does anyone want to carpool with me?

What special plants/trees will you be bringing to plant in Vlad's garden?

• lynnt
    16 years ago

Just to make things easier, here is Eric's address:

(For directions, MapQuest:
    22300 Aquasco Road (Md route 381)
    Aquasco, MD 20608.)

LynnT

• LynneinMD
    16 years ago

Susan, just in case you don't get my email... LynnT is the one going, not me - I never met Vlad (which is most unfortunate, as he sounds like a terrific guy!)

Lynne

• gardnwatch
    16 years ago

I'm so sorry I missed the memorial service.
    Please tell me how it went?

Bonnie

• kimka
    16 years ago

Vlad must have loved the memorial service. There were lots of people from all parts of Vlad's life including a good-sized group from MAG. His parents and other family were there.

Two pecan trees were planted in his memory at the farm, with his ashes mixed with the rich soil. As an analog of the Jewish custom of placing a stone on a grave stone when you visit, Eric asked each person to pour a dipper of water around the pecan trees in Vlad's honor and memory.

As people introduced themselves, they each told a story about Vlad. Some were touching, some were funny and all spoke of what a great person Vlad was. He would have smiled and and loved the stories too.

Eric also dedicated the farm in Vlad's memory and hung a sign naming the farm "Second Chance Farm" in his honor.

Vlad would have been proud of how wonderful the gardens looked. The irises were in full bloom; the strawberries were filling out; and the dianthus were bright and showy. Many of the MAG contingent walked around saying things like Vlad got some of that from me or I have that in my garden now from Vlad.

I'll always think of Vlad when I see my wisteria blooming or pick my strawberries or look at any of the other plants I've gotten from Vlad.

• annebert
    16 years ago

Thanks for the report Kim. I had to miss because of too much work. I'm sorry I missed the chance to meet Vlad's parents.

• gardnwatch
    16 years ago

Yes, thank you for the report.
    It sounds like a lovely day for Vlad.
    I'm so glad alot of the MAG family got to go.

Bonnie

Sponsored