Return to the Mid-Atlantic Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Shelling peas vs. deer

Posted by kimka z6B (jkkaplan@erols.com) on
Fri, Apr 5, 13 at 10:14

Are deer attracted to shelling peas and snow peas?

My yard backs up to Rock Creek Park, which means I have ravening hordes of deer.
I have to do almost all of my vegetable gardening on my second story deck in pots to keep the deer and raccoons from eating all of the harvest (I don't mind sharing, but I want some of it).

I've never tried shelling and snow peas in the ground (just in pots), but I would like to expand the number of plants I do this year.

Or would I just be putting out another feeding station?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Shelling peas vs. deer

They'll eat em. But the rotten egg smelling deer repellent has worked very well for me to keep deer off peas and other goodies.

o

Last year I used milorganite after an initial attack of the bambi crew. I don't know if it worked or if the drought conditions improved' l'll be putting down my first broadcast today with fingers crossed.

o

Our house backs up to a forest conservation area. Last yr, I planted snow peas and snap peas in my veg bed among other veggies. The deer sniffed it out and from then on even the rest of my veggie bed was their buffet. Peas are a favorite of deer. I used the stinky repellent as well, but it seemed to invite raccoons. I wasn't very regular with the repellent so I'm not sure about its efficacy. Good luck!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Mid-Atlantic Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here