17 years ago

Has anyone seen a hummingbird thus far?

Comments (16)

• christy2828
    17 years ago

Not yet, :(

• jomama49
    17 years ago

Hung my feeder over the weekend... no action yet!
    Jo

• jomama49
    17 years ago

And, of course, now my nectar's frozen!
    Jo

• oscarthecat
    17 years ago

It is a proven fact, a hummingbird cannot fly while wearing snowshoes. Steve in Baltimore County.

• beth_b_kodiak
    17 years ago

I used to see the first hummers when the white azaleas bloomed. I have no azaleas here so I just keep watching.

• watergal
    17 years ago

I have white azaleas here, but they are nowhere close to blooming. None of my azaleas are.

• jomama49
    17 years ago

My azaleas have a ways to go also. The goldfinch have got their yellow plumage back. It's lovely to see them make such a bright, cheery spot in this drab weather!
    Jo

• madsquopper
    16 years ago

Hummers showed up at the feeders over the weekend. Anyone else have them yet?

Larry

• LynneinMD
    16 years ago

They're here in Bowie, too. AND, my white azalea is blooming...

I got a couple of great pics yesterday, and will add them if I can figure out how.. harumph!

• LynneinMD
    16 years ago

I think I sorta figured out the pic thing, see if this works!

Here is a link that might be useful:

• JohnnieB
    16 years ago

Saw one this past weekend, a female who visited my Aquilegia canadensis but hasn't been spotted since. This is the earliest I have ever seen one; usually I don't see any until July (after which they are pretty regular). I have a lot of columbine blooming this year so maybe that made a difference.

• christy2828
    16 years ago

Still No Hummers :( Christy

• jomama49
    16 years ago

I've had hummers yesterday and today and they seem very, very interested in the nectar feeder. Must've been a long, hungry flight! It's great to see them again!

• gardnwatch
    16 years ago

Lynne....... wow.....great shot of the hummer.!!!
    What kind of camera do you have? What speed and distance did you take the picture from?

I'll need to put my feeders out today for sure.

My husband brought one home last year in a shoebox to nurse back to health for a few hours while it recovered from being beaten around by other birds. We got to feed it sugar water with a smaller feeder tube. It was flying around in our livingroom after reviving....and then it left through an open window ....whoosh......it was gone. One of the coolest sights I have ever seen.

Bonnie

• LynneinMD
    16 years ago

Thanks, Bonnie!, I have an olympus C-770 UltraZoom, I love it. I'll probably have it at the swap so you can play if you like. It's not superduper like the SLRs/professional ones but for my needs, it's great. I took the pic from my swing, about 12? feet away.

This the first year we've had feeders, and we're having a great time with them. I'm not reliable about watering container pots and I didn't think I'd be good about refilling the feeders, but now that we have the hummers to watch, I'm sure they'll get filled like the rest of the feeders do.

What fun for you that you got to see one up close and personal! Have you checked out the hummingbird cam online?

See you Saturday!

Here is a link that might be useful: Hummer nest cam

• daresbeach
    16 years ago

I saw a hummer at my neighbors bleeding heart plants about 2 weeks ago we live in Calvert Co Southern Maryland right on the bay