Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dgs9r

Moving to Baltimore City

dgs9r
18 years ago

Hi All,

We are moving to Baltimore soon, and I wanted to say Hello! I am an amateur gardner from Durham, NC, and I learned a lot from the gardenweb sites over the years here.

While I was here, I planted an antique rose garden in my front lawn, that the neighbors simply love. It is very rewarding for me when I see their pleasure!

I also created new beds using lasagne successfully. Also wintersowed successfully, and will do so again. All learned from Gardenweb.

I am very excited to be moving to Baltimore, although a little cautious about the longer winter (raised in the Tropics). We are currently looking for homes in Baltimore city. One thing I really need to survive the cold there is to plant some early or winter blooming plants and trees.

Can anyone advise what are the earliest flowering trees and plants? The very earliest. Anything at all in Jan/Feb/March?

Thanks so much!

Deepti

Comments (11)

• radagast
    18 years ago

Welcome to Maryland!

Not sure of exactly the earliest flowering plants and trees, though forsythia flower in early to mid March with yellow flowers.

One tree I can tell you NOT to plant is any sort of flowering pear. "Bradford" "Cleveland" "Aristocrat" etc. They flower very early with white (often foul-smelling) flowers, but they are horrible trees. Short-lived, prone to falling apart, and invasive pests since the varieties crossbreed with each other to produce lots of pesty seedlings. Sadly, they are still sold and planted all over the place down here even as they escape into the wild.

You'd be much better off with a dogwood, cherry tree, or crabapple of some sort if you want a flowering tree.

• spanaval
    18 years ago

If you plant things that bloom late into the fall, a few that have winter interest, and others that bloom early spring, you can have interest in the garden for a really long time.

For early bloom, look into Witchhazel/Winterhazel (Hamamelis/Corylopsis). Prunus mume blooms earlier than many of its counterparts. Some of the spring blooming bulbs start their show early, sometimes blooming through the snow. Then there are the Hellebores.

The US National Arboretum has a list of what what blooms for them when. You might find that to be interesting.

Suja

Here is a link that might be useful: Bloom Periods at the National Arboretum

• wishdesign
    18 years ago

Welcome, Deepti!

I'll second the recommendation for hellebores, which are said to bloom around Christmas time. They are also tolerant of shade, which is a big plus in my yard. I'm growing them for the first time this year and have fallen in love with them. Crocus bulbs are usually pretty early as well (and sooo cute and cheery!).

Another shrub to consider is flowering quince (Chaenomeles speciosa). The ones in my sister's yard started blooming in mid-late January and continued through March. It was absolutely lovely to see that burst of color in the middle of the drabbest time of the year, and the budding branches can be cut and brought inside and put in a vase where they will continue to develop into blooms. I'm trying to root some so send me an email if you'd like some cuttings now or let me know when you move up here for a (hopefully by then) rooted start!

--Jean (in Silver Spring, MD)

Here is a link that might be useful: Flowering quince photos

• annebert
    18 years ago

If you are reallly in Baltimore city (not out in the suburbs, I mean), you'll find that you're at least in zone 7a. Since I moved to Baltimore (originally) from Wisconsin, I laugh heartily at your concept of "long winters". With witchhazel and camellias (C. japonica cultivars are hardy here) you can have lots of late fall, early spring bloom.

• saltairhoney
    18 years ago

Hi! I'm the Eastern Shore of Maryland. We are a little milder than Balt. City (lived there 8 years) by about 10 degrees or so. The plants I use for late and early flowering are camellias, a peach tree (blooms late March, very early April), and of course a ton of Crocus. I love them because they peek out from the snow and give me hope that spring is only a month or so away.

• dgs9r
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thank you all so much!

Witchhazel and Winterhazel are definitely top of my list. I had planned to plant them here this Fall. I want to plant a couple of different varieties of each. Also Loropetalum, which is a variety of Witch hazel, isn't it?

My neighbor here has a Star Magnolia that blooms very early. I have envied it for long, and will now have the chance to plant my own in Baltimore.

I am excited to learn about Prunus mume! I had not known about this tree, and will definitely plant it. Apparently, JC Raulston here of the Raulston Arboretum brought it to the notice of the gardening world.

Early blooming bulbs such as Crocuses and tulips (?) are also on my list. mass plantings. Also hellebores. And of course, Daphne.

I am guessing camellias will already be present at the new home. They are everywhere. If anyone cares to name their early cultivars, that would be great.

Thank you for the link to the national Arboretum! From there, I've added Wintersweet to my list right away, and probably get more ideas. This list is very helpful to plan for all seasons!

It seems I'm heading toward planting a winter garden, or if the home is already landscaped, then extensively planting winter/late fall varieties within the existing garden.

Does anyone know if Lilacs grow around here, and if so, when they bloom?

Many thanks for your replies!
    Deepti

• julia3
    18 years ago

Welcome to Maryland. I grew-up in the northern Baltimore suburbs but now live in the DC suburbs.

Vibirnum bodnantsee 'Dawn' blooms during any mild period in the winter and also in the very early spring. It has pink flower clusters and smells just like lilac.

And yes, lilacs do fine around here--I have a 'President Grevy' blooming right now.

• janetm_md
    17 years ago

Welcome to Baltimore! I live just outside the city but doubt the bloom time varies that much on lilacs. They tend to bloom around mid April for me. I still have them blooming though the earlier blooming ones are now done. A sudden heat wave which occasionally happens will throw off how long they'll last.

• dgs9r
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thank you all so much! I have been smelling lilacs at the homes we have seen -- and they are heavenly! They are not early blooming, but I also want plants that bloom at other times, and lilacs and antique roses will be among them.

I am thrilled to know the name of an early viburnum -- viburnums have long been on my list.
    Thanks,
    Deepti

• winged_mammal
    17 years ago

i live in Canton (baltimore city) and it never gets below 10 here in the winter. if you move to near the water you should be able to grow anything zone 7 and maybe 8 if you have a microclimate that's sheltered.

• lynnt
    17 years ago

The first bulb to bloom each year in my Lanham MD garden, just outside the DC beltway, is Galanthus (snowdrops). The dainty white-and-green bells come up in February, often through the snow. Love 'em.

I have no trouble overwintering Z8 plants like diclipta suberecta or most salvias, as long as I'm careful about mixing extra sand or gravel into their planting hole, and ensuring they're a bit above ground level. I also cover them with an overturned basket of dry leaves rather than relying on standard mulches to tide them over.

Lilacs survive and bloom here, but tend to get mildew by midsummer; they don't care for the heat and humidity. The dwarf Persian kind seem more resistant than the tree forms.

Lynn