Return to the Mid-Atlantic Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Best Heuchera for Central MD

Posted by totallyconfused 6b/7MD (My Page) on
Wed, Apr 21, 10 at 11:07

Hello everyone. I've been a longtime lurker, but was hoping someone here could help me. I am hoping to add a heuchera or two (anything but green) to a northeast facing bed. I have done quite a bit of reading on-line and have gotten myself completely confused. Can anyone growing heuchera in my area tell me whether villosa or americana is the better choice? Some info suggests that villosa is the plant of choice for hot, humid conditions, yet other info indicates that those plants tend to be weak and short-lived in the garden. Any suggestions based on real-life experience would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Totally Confused

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Best Heuchera for Central MD

The most vigorous variety in my garden is 'Caramel' which is villosa. 'Midnight Rose' is doing well, but does not grow/multiply too fast. 'Stormy Seas' was planted last fall and looks fantastic so far. Some light colored yellow/lime green varieties are the weakest (do not remember names now).
All Heucheras have to be divided and/or planted deeper from time to time.

I do not have individual Heuchera pictures, but you can see two large 'Caramel' specimens on the right side on this picture:

Photobucket

o

Thanks. I'll keep those varieties in mind.

Totally Confused

o

Palace Purple, and old variety, has done well for me here for years. I think it's americana, so the rules may not be set in stone.

o

Purple Palace is the only one I can grow with any reliability. I have tried the gold-hued varieties and they always die. But that's just me. It will depend on conditions. The other good thing about Purple Palace is that it is dirt cheap.

Jen

o

Purple Palace, Amethyst Mist, Peach Melba, and Key Lime Pie have all grown well in VA soil for me.

-David

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Mid-Atlantic Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here