Return to the Mid-Atlantic Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Yellowing Leyland Cypress

Posted by monkton_green MD (My Page) on
Fri, Apr 27, 07 at 11:40

I have some young Leyland Cypress that I put in the ground a year ago. They were teeny tiny (due to limited budget) but grew over a foot in their first year. Just recently (the past two weeks) they started to yellow! I have planted them alternately with Emerald Green Arborvitae which have also slightly yellowed, but not as much as the Cypress. I have looked for signs of canker, but cannot seem to find any - although I might not be entirely sure what I am trying to find. I am wondering if this has anything to do with the ice storm we had in late March. The plants have received adequate water but have not been fertilized. Is there anything I can do to help out my trees? I don't want to lose my growing privacy screen! Help!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Yellowing Leyland Cypress

Hi up there in Monkton. My guess would be the freeze also if it happened when plants were starting to put out new growth. You might send a foliage sample to UMD ext service. Their number is 800-342-2507. Steve in Baltimore County.

o
RE: Yellowing Leyland Cypress

Thanks - I'll see how they manage through May and if they continue to deteriorate I'll send off to UMD. I'm hoping it was just the ice and freezing wind storms!!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Mid-Atlantic Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here