Return to the Mid-Atlantic Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
too late to start herbs?

Posted by sjkosko z7 DC (My Page) on
Wed, Apr 27, 05 at 12:26

Hi everyone. I'm brand new to this website and brand new to gardening in DC. Posted this on the Herbs forum, but this space is probably more appropriate...

So I just landed a great space (~15'-2.5') in a community garden and am starting my first herb garden outside of Northern Massachusetts. Aie.
Since I only acquired the space last weekend, I haven't started anything indoors and haven't put anything in the ground yet... so, 3 Questions:

1) Is it too late (or too early) to at least pick up some plugs or 4-inchers and stick them in the ground? (My cats destroy anything I put in pots in my solarium.)
2) Where should I go to get them? (Have car, will drive.)
3) What does well in DC? My priority is culinary herbs, but I'm also interested in medicinals, ornamentals, and even wild flowers.

Please advise this anxious yankee!!!
Stacy

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: too late to start herbs?

Not too late at all. Most instructions way "wait until the last frost" to put things out and officially the average last frost in McLean is April 20 to 30. So you're right on time.

Not too late at all. In fact

o

It's good timing for planting out transplants, probably a little early for direct sowing. I'd wait til the soil gets a bit warmer.
I don't know the nurseries around DC but most discount stores have a reasonable selection in the garden center. The various plant sales going on always have vendors that bring herbs.

OR...You can come to the MAG swap and pick some up for free! (See exchange page)
cheers,
Laurel

o

Hi guys -- thanks for your input!

Laurel, what is a MAG swap? I'm afraid my gardening community lingo is lacking. I checked out the exchange page, but it appears to be hundreds of want ads. What exactly am I looking for?

Thanks!
stacy

o

Your timing is great for putting out plants now. If you buy them at the local "big box" stores, just be sure to catch them fresh from the growers, before the store staff has had time to neglect them to death. Check your yellow pages phone book for nurseries near you to find the best plants. They should also have someone on staff that can help you decide what to grow in your area. Plus, you can always check with your local extension agent. They are a great source for literature on anything dealing with horticulture.

o

Here's what you're looking for.

Here is a link that might be useful: MAG plant swap

o

You'll be able to get herb sets at either Behke's in Beltsville or right in DC at Johnson's. There's an herb specific nursery on 214 right near Homestead, but I can't recall the name of it at the moment.

o

A friend and I were out at DeBaggio's (west of Chantilly) about 2 weeks ago and the herbs and scented geraniums were great. They've transferred well to our gardens and we look forward to going back in a week or two for tomatoes and peppers!
Ellen

Here is a link that might be useful: DeBaggio's Herbs

o

Stacy,
MAG= Mid Atlantic Gardening. We are having our spring swap this Saturday in Burtonsville an dthere willbe lots of herbs there.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Mid-Atlantic Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here