Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
panambi_gw

Grow a row of Greens for the elderly

panambi
14 years ago

Have you heard about the Grow A Row program of the Capital Area Food Bank (CAFB)? Gardeners can grow and donate a row of any kind of produce to a local food pantry, kid's cafe or soup kitchen in their neighborhood. I just learned that elders who receive shelf stable food from the Brown Bag program of CAFB often use their small amount of Food Stamps to purchase fresh greens,and that their eyes light up when their bags occasionally do contain greens. Please consider joining the Grow A Row program this season, to provide folks with fresh produce. My kids and I are growing swiss chard and kale to donate. I will be at the Swap at Gardengramma's on the 8th with more information (look for the sign!) or read on! Many thanks, Panambi

Hello fellow gardeners and community leaders,

It's definitely spring and the Capital Area Food Bank is gearing up for this season's Grow A Row project!

Please consider participating in our Grow A Row program and take a moment to review the information below and share with your community gardeners.

What is Grow A Row?

Grow A Row is a way for gardeners to grow and donate produce to local community organizations that serve people in need. Fresh produce is an essential component of a healthy diet, but is not frequently donated to soup kitchens or food pantries due to its perishable nature. Grow A Row is an excellent opportunity to bridge community, build relationships, and provide people of low income with access to fresh, local produce.

Why should I participate?

Now more than ever the charitable organizations that provide meals or distribute food to those in need are asking for more produce to meet their client demand. A recent Hunger in America 2010 study documented that hunger in the Washington, DC metropolitan area has increased 25% from 2006 with 1 in 5 children at risk of hunger. The Capital Area Food Bank is working to alleviate hunger and malnutrition throughout the metropolitan area and is committed to ensuring that the food we distribute is nutritious. To that end, we have developed an ambitious goal to source and distribute 30 million pounds of food this year with half (15 million pounds) in fresh produce. We need your help to reach this goal!

Who Donates the Produce?

Gardeners throughout the Washington, D.C. Metropolitan Area are encouraged to participate. Whether you grow an extra row, dig up your entire yard, or organize a collective donation from your community garden, we appreciate your contribution!

Who Receives the Produce?

Donated produce is provided to Capital Area Food Bank member agencies and local community organizations that have the capacity to use the produce. The Capital Area Food Bank works with a network of over 700 charitable organizations in the Washington, D.C. Metropolitan Area, including food pantries, soup kitchens, youth programs, senior centers and emergency shelters.

How Do I Participate?

Contact us to participate and we will work with you to determine the best way to distribute your produce to the community. All participants will receive a Grow A Row Participant sign to put up in their garden and will be recognized on our website.

For more information or to participate, contact growarow@capitalareafoodbank. org

The Capital Area Food Bank was established in 1980 with the mission to feed those who suffer from hunger by acquiring food and distributing it through our network of member agencies; and to educate, empower and enlighten the community about the issues of hunger and nutrition. As the largest public nonprofit hunger and nutrition education resource in the Washington, D.C. Metropolitan Area, the CAFB distributes 25 million pounds of food each year, including 7 million pounds of fresh produce.

www.capitalareafood bank.org

Sponsored
A.I.S. Renovations Ltd.
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars15 Reviews
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County