Return to the Mid-Atlantic Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
On going green ... WGES Clean Steps?

Posted by cecilia_md7a 7a/Baltimore,MD (My Page) on
Tue, Apr 21, 09 at 12:33

OK, so I already recycle, compost, use a human-powered reel mower, and garden organically. Yesterday I received a mailing from Washington Gas Energy Services notifying me that if I switch from Baltimore Gas & Electric to WGES' Clean Steps program, I can choose electricity with 50% wind power and still pay less than BGE's new summer rates.

Do any of you in the DC/MD/VA area use the WGES Clean Steps program? Would you recommend it? Even if the rates go up at the end of the one- or two-year term offered, the idea of cleaner energy is tempting.

Any comments are appreciated!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: On going green ... WGES Clean Steps?

I initially enrolled in their 10% wind energy program as they were offering rates guaranteed to be lower than BGE. I'm currently on their 100% wind power program. I think it increased my bill by only about 10%.

o
RE: On going green ... WGES Clean Steps?

I switched to Pepco Green in 2007. (Don't confuse Pepco Energy Services with Pepco that delivers electricity). There are periods when the rates are higher than BGE, but I personally think the other 'costs' of non renewable sources and the pollution they produce are greater considerations than just price.

Here's the description of Green energy from Pepco Green site:
Green Electricity is generated from renewable resources, which includes hydroelectric plants, solar panels, wind farms and biomass fuels. The generation of Green Electricity produces almost none of the pollutants commonly referred to as "greenhouse gases". These pollutants (such as carbon dioxide, nitrogen oxide and sulfur dioxide) contribute to global warming, smog and acid rain, and can result in damage to the environment.

It's more of a life choice decision than an economic one.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Mid-Atlantic Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here