Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tropic_of_chesapeake

MAG Tropicalesque Swap

Are there any Tropicalesque gardeners in the Mid-Atlantic region who would be interested in having a plant swap mid-summer? July or August? It could be much like the spring swap, trade plants in the morning followed by a potluck lunch. Any comments or ideas?

Comments (15)

• Downeastmd
    15 years ago

Sounds good depending on the location. We should have a nice variety of tropicals we could swap for. I am located in Salisbury area.

• Monzi zone 8a South Carolina
    15 years ago

Sounds good to me too.I am also in the Salisbury area and I am in bad need of thinning out my tropicals!!

• JohnnieB
    15 years ago

There is a group based in the Washington, DC area called DCTropics that has occasional get-togethers to tour private and public gardens and to swap plants. The focus of the group is hardy palms, bananas, and other subtropical and tropical plants. Just Google "DCTropics", the group website is the first one that comes up.

I believe there is another group in New Jersey loosely associated with Triple Oaks Nursery. Check out their discussion forum for more info.

Here is a link that might be useful: Triple Oaks Nursery

• steve_nj
    15 years ago

If anyone wants more info and pictures, please follow the link at the bottom.
    GARDEN VISIT/PLANT SWAP/POTLUCK
    Date: Sunday May 3rd, 2009-rain or shine; PLEASE EMAIL ME FOR ADDRESS.
    Arrive 10:00 AM (unload plants and food in driveway and park across road on Sedgwick. Walk around garden, socialize, etc.

potluck 12 noon

Afternoon-plant swap(informal or prearranged trades), visits to nearby public plantings of hardy palms, crape myrtles, etc.

TRADING MATERIALS:Labeled plants, cuttings (rooted or unrooted), shrubs, bulbs, seedlings, seeds, garden ornaments,garden magazines, extra gardening implements, or any other garden-related items.

POT LUCK: Please bring a lunch dish (with serving utensil) to enjoy and share. Bring a chair if you have one (extra chairs here if needed). Plates, plastic silverware, napkins, cups, and iced tea & water will be provided.

This will be an enjoyable day filled with plants, good plant talk, and delicious food. In addition, there will be a side trip to visit nearby public plantings which include cold-tolerant palms, which have done well over this winter.
    Feel free to bring a friend.

HOPE YOU CAN MAKE IT TO THE SWAP!

Here is a link that might be useful: Plant Swap

• annebert
    15 years ago

I am also interested, I think. The timing would be important. Too late in the summer wouldn't work for temperennials that we let grow to tropical proportions and then get killed by frost. I can't handle too many more things that need winter protection like plumerias (no basement and no garage; 600 ft square house)

• tropic_of_chesapeake
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I was thinking that it could happen sometime late June through mid July. The earlier swaps are nice but many of the "hardy tropicals" don't really get going until mid June. Too late in the year though and they don't have time to get well established. July 11 might be a good weekend. Any thoughts? I'm in the Balt. area what would be a good central location for folks?

• Downeastmd
    15 years ago

Monzi- What do you have an abundance of? I have lots of Bananas, Gingers and Canna's at this point with more stuff later.

• annebert
    14 years ago

OK, the spring swap is over, and I've even planted some of the stuff I got. Let's start planning the tropicalesque swap!

Since a couple of posters are in Salisbury, the "central" places where we often have swaps in Montgomery county may not be appropriate. Maybe Annapolis area would be good?

July 11 sounds good - I am also open to a Sunday swap. People from the eastern shore could enjoy crossing the bridge against traffic.

14 years ago

DowneastMd-
    I have brugmansia,clivia,dracaenas,sansevieria,african violets,rubber tree(that needs hacking)succulents...and most of the common stuff..spider plants, wandering jew,swedish ivy,peace lily,hoyas,etc..I have other things but I am just trying to think of the easy ones to split or root.I would love to trade some brugs or clivia for bananas ,I lost my big one too the cold

• Downeastmd
    14 years ago

Monzi-
    We could be interested in a trade for the brugs and clivia.What varieties do you have? let me know what else you could trade for,we have a good supply of bananas and gingers right now. We are on the westside of Salisbury.

• chrismd
    14 years ago

I'd be interested in this if you are going to trade more than tropicals. Just looking at the garden yesterday I found a lot of things that could have gone to the spring MAG swap. On the other hand, I think everyone left the swap with more than they possibly could plant in one week (loaves and fishes effect).

14 years ago

downeastmd-
    My brugs are over 20 years old.If you are a native Salisburian then you might remembe the Food Depot in the old mall,well I got them there for .50 each as twigs and have no clue what type they are.One is pink and the other is white.They have turned into 3 huge pots that need pruning badly and I don't need or have room for anymore potfulls and I do hate to throw them into the compost.My clivia came from ebay and I can only assume they are the common orange ones-clivia miniata.

• tvalenti
    14 years ago

Hi,

I would be interested in this but can't make July 11 - July 18th or June 27 anyone?

I have Canna's, Lantana - Mozelle (comes back for me for the last two years), and Brugmansia's.

tvalenti

• annebert
    14 years ago

Is this idea still alive?

• tvalenti
    14 years ago

I would be in for the weekend of the 18th. I have tons of Calla Lilly's, Gladiola's, Canna's etc. popping up all over the place which were almost non-existant during the May swap. Plus as much Lantana Mozelle (sp?) as anyone may want which is easy to root.

Sponsored
KP Designs Group
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars50 Reviews
Franklin County's Unique and Creative Residential Interior Design Firm