Return to the Mid-Atlantic Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Mid-Atlantic Gardeners Swap / MAG Spring Swap - May 11, 2013

Posted by kilngod z6 KY (My Page) on
Sun, Apr 28, 13 at 13:33

Mid-Atlantic Gardeners Swap

Calling all local and nearly-local gardeners (some travel nearly 2 hrs), Veteran and Newbies alike!
(Burtonsville, MD - swap location)

Saturday, May 11th, 2013...10am-1pm

What this is ~~

Anyone and everyone is invited - you don't have to be a gardenwebber. Newcomers, bring good politeness and share well with the other Newbies (i.e. in your excitement, do not take everything…especially anything labeled as a pre-arranged trade).

MAG swaps tend to be very informal. People bring anywhere from no plants to dozens and anything from new seedlings to major divisions, Many of the plants will be bare root and wrapped in newspaper or tucked into plastic bags rather than potted-up. People also bring garden magazines, plastic pots, garden equipment, almost anything garden related they want to swap or give away. My historic favorite was composted bunny poop.

At our swaps, we pretty much do three primary things; 1) Offer our plants to new homes, and when you reach the point of having plants to divide and pass on, you do the same for the next group of newbie gardeners, 2) trade special things in-person instead of shipping them through the mail, and 3) eat-n-socialize.

Process ~~

There are List Threads for posting your Haves, Wants and What-I'm-bringing-for-the-potluck on the exchange page. Basic instructions for each of these are located on each thread - keep each thread specific to its role so things are easier and clearer for everyone.

Have Lists

Want Lists

What-I'm-bringing-for-the-potluck List

If you see something on the "haves" thread that you want, email the person directly and ask for it. If you have stuff to swap, offer it. (If not, just say I don't really have anything to swap so I'm bringing chocolate...I mean something to eat.)

Make sure your GW member pages / profile settings are set to show your email to members. Otherwise no one can email you.

The Big Day ~~

On the day of the swap, you set out your:
Prearranged trades (labeled well with the person's name and what the plant is; I put a big sign with that group “Spoken for”, “Pre-arranged” or similar)

Give away (labeled with what the plant is, as generally or specifically as you understand that plant; Another big sign “Take” or “Free”, etc).

And put all plants that are coming home with you back into your car, to avoid any confusion. I’ve seen folks with little red wagons as their stash-keeper-n-hauler. Whatever works for you. People just stroll around asking about plants and take what they would like from the free groups, and finding their pre-arranged-trade people.

We talk gardening, trade, and chat from about 10 to 11:45ish and then adjourn for the potluck. After lunch, anything left is pushed on people (If you look at something, you have to take one; if you ask about it, you have to take two.)

Gardengranma has a fabulous garden and home in Burtonsville, MD and a field where she has us all park. (Directions are provided on the List Threads.) It helps if you label your car with your gardenweb handle and your name and a wear a similar nametag.

That's about the sum of our rules: Be polite, bring what you can, take home a carload of plants.

Hope to see you there!

(Our planning thread from earlier this spring, just in case you are interested in background info, how this thing develops each year, or for veterans who need to reconnect to our earlier discussions: Ol' planning thread

This post was edited by kilngod on Sun, Apr 28, 13 at 19:41

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Mid-Atlantic Gardeners Swap / MAG Spring Swap - May 11, 2013

I don't see the time of the spring swap listed?

o

Saturday, May 11, 2013 from 10am to 1pm

I'll edit this post to include the time in the header.

Thanks, Lisa Marie247!
-Tina

This post was edited by kilngod on Sun, Apr 28, 13 at 20:25

o

The weather keeps changing for the swap. We might want to announce for anyone intending to come that,as far as I know, this is a rain or shine event. Right?? Correct me if I am wrong.

Suji

o

Yes, rain or shine! (We'll figure out how to accommodate anything Mother Nature throws at us.)

I'll bring an umbrella, plastic sheeting/tarp and maybe old blankets to keep things from making the car floor too wet, and maybe an extra pair of shoes if it's really heavy rain...

And rag towels to help keep the house from getting wet tracked inside...

o

I'll be there at around 11--I'm bringing a friend and she's really looking forward to this! So be on your best behavior! ;)

o

....currently potting up heirloom tomatoes!

(I am so excited too)

o

bump to top

o

Rain or shine. We are not worried about mud in the house. The trades will have to take place outside ( we can't drive the cars into the house either lol.) see you tomorrow.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Mid-Atlantic Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here