Return to the Mid-Atlantic Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
herbs and veggies

Posted by zeak 6b (My Page) on
Mon, Apr 1, 13 at 13:41

Hi there. We live in Bethesda MD and want to start growing some of our own herbs, fruits and veggies. Because of deer and rabbit in our area and space limitations, we can't do a ground level garden. We're exploring having potted pants stacked on outdoor shelves. What specific herbs, plants and veggies thrive in this area and can be put in large pots? Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: herbs and veggies

Zeak, I used to live in Bethesda and now am in Chevy Chase right next to Rock Creek Park and hordes of hungry deer.

My experience is that you can grow all herbs in the ground except basil, which they snap up. So, if you use herbs for cooking or tea, go ahead and plant rosemary, oregano, marjoram, sage, thyme AND pot up some mint and lemon balm which are wonderful in salads but can take over your yard if you put them in the ground.

If you go with pots, buy DWARF or COMPACT plants and follow the directions on the packet. There are many tomatoes, peppers, etc. bred specifically for pots because they are compact and productive.

However, I would highly encourage you to make an inground garden, raised bed if you wish to avoid total clay soil, and stake it every one or two feet with bamboo poles or PVC 6 feet high and then wrap it in bird netting -- plastic, cheap, and seems to get the deer to continue to someplace else with easily available hosta. Both I and a friend use this rather than a sturdier fence with chicken wire or metal. The deer will get anything that goes over the fence and you will have to figure out some kind of people friendly opening, but I picked tomatoes through and over my "fence" last year. By growing flowers and herbs in front of it, I got many sweet comments from my neighbors, even though the veggies were right in the front yard.

Also deer seem to change their preferences from year to year. One year I harvested unprotected kale for the full season and into winter, the next year I had to protect it.

If you have a raised deck with sun, put your pots there. They could go for them, but they don't much like climbing stairs.

Good luck, and enjoy your harvest,

Lisa

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Mid-Atlantic Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here