Return to the Mid-Atlantic Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
osmanthus burkwoodi

Posted by puffkit z6b (My Page) on
Thu, Apr 19, 07 at 13:43

anyone have experience with osmanthus burkwoodi in z6b? i have a os. fortunei that only suffered about 1/3 dieback from this past winter (its in a partially protected area) and am wondering if there are others i can give a try to or might be a bit more hardy than fortunei?
thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: osmanthus burkwoodi

Puffkit, I grow several kinds of Osmanthus in my garden, and I can share my experiences with you. The hardiest for me has been O. heterophyllus 'Gulftide' -- almost no damage at all in the last 20 years. Another that has done very well in terms of hardiness is Osmanthus sasaba. Osmanthus armatus is a third that can handle 6b. No real damage to any of them after a spring of alternating warmth and freeze.

Osmanthus fortunei often takes a beating in the winter but fills in well later and keeps on growing. I like it, and I just accept that it really isn't a true evergreen in my area unless it is quite protected.

I have Osmanthus variegata in a protected area, and it still suffers in a rough winter, but always comes back. The Goshiki, which I have only had for 3 years, seems to do better. They are both very slow growers.

Osmanthus americanus usually doesn't have dieback for me, but this spring has produced more damage than I have every seen before on it.

Osmanthus decorus 'Baki Kasapligil' is the closest I have to Osmanthus burkwoodii. I have lost two to deer since this Osmanthus lacks the shiny, sharp leaves that protect the others. The one I have now is next to the house in a warm spot and doing well.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Mid-Atlantic Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here