Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
swissmiss_gw

anywhere I can buy a really big tree?

swissmiss
19 years ago

We want to plant a large tree in our driveway circle. I went out to Shemin nursery in Burtonsville, but they don't have big enough trees. I would like a 12' bloodgood maple or an even larger Yoshino cherry. My mom suggested that there might be somewhere out in PA that grows trees in the ground that could be dug up and replanted....??? Anyone know of such a place? Many thanks!

Comments (12)

• julia3
    19 years ago

I don't know about a 12 foot Jap maple--one that large would be incredibly expensive. Some nurseries around here have some pretty good-sized trees, 10'-12' and maybe taller.

• sandykk
    19 years ago

This was in the 4/8 Newsletter from Carroll Gardens, Westminster, MD. You might want to call and ask what they have in stock.

Plus we have 3 very large BNB cherry trees on sale for $150.00 each. They are Kwanzan, Snow Fountains and a double pink weeping cherry called Subhirtella Pendula. These are a special purchase from a local farm that needs to clear their fields. If you are coming to get one you will need a full-sized pick-up truck to take it home.

• frontiercc
    19 years ago

Call Sun Nurseries in Woodbine. They have lots of large trees and are equipped to plant them also. Planting a tree the size they have is not a DIY project.

• adlumia
    19 years ago

I think I once read about a place in Doylestown w/huge trees in OH or FG magazines.

• swissmiss
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Many thanks for the tips; I will follow up!

• drtynails
    19 years ago

I second Sun Nursery! I'm headed there today. In my experience, you can find unusual and LARGE examples there. Not much for annuals but it was the only place I could find a viburnum carcephalum. Check out the Japanese maples when you go. Pricy but gorgeous.

• rosewomann
    19 years ago

Brooke Run tree farm 18201 Brooke Rd # E Sandy Spring MD 20860
    (301-421-4217) is where we got our really big Yoshino cherry for a great price. Minimum order is 3 trees for delivery & planting. Everything we got from them did really well. This was a while ago.
    Rose

• wolfpirate
    18 years ago

In Glen Burnie MD at Evergreen Genes they sell 6' Yoshino cherry trees. $79.99 approx. 410-766-6877

• Lesathummercrossing
    18 years ago

On the SE side of town check out Eds Plant World on RT 5 between Clinton and Waldorf.

Les

• BIGTREEGUY
    18 years ago

I AM A SALES REP I DO NOTHING OTHER THEN INSTALL BIG TREES.

CALL ME - 301-461-6743

I install up to 20' caliper--or 40 ft. pin oak no problem.
    Check web site..ACETREEMOVERS.com

email me ELI@acetreemovers.com

WE are in Gaithersburg,MD but work in MD

Here is a link that might be useful: TREE SITE

• Brent_In_NoVA
    18 years ago

Big Tree Guy: Welcome to GW. Hopefully you will stick around and make a valuable contribution to these forums (have you checked out the Tree forum). I have to admit that your previous post sounded a bit like a late night tv advertisement. You can tone down the SHOUTING. I have to assume that you meant a 20 INCH caliper.

- Brent

• yoshee
    17 years ago

Hi,

I have a huge evergreen in my yard that I want to sell. It is 30 - 40 feet tall and nicely shaped on all sides. It was planted in 1966. Please let me know if you are interested.

Sponsored
J.Holderby - Renovations
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Franklin County's Leading General Contractors - 2X Best of Houzz!