Return to the Mid-Atlantic Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
When does tiger eye sumac leaf out?

Posted by kimka z6B (jkkaplan@erols.com) on
Tue, Apr 16, 13 at 14:32

Does anyone have a tiger eye sumac in the Washington DC area? When does your's begin to leaf out.

I got one on clearance last fall and I'm being a helicopter gardener until I know if it survived.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: When does tiger eye sumac leaf out?

Kim,
I've had mine for several years, to the point where I have seedlings.
Mine is just now forming buds.

Keeping in mind that my gardens develop an exact week later than most of the area. Yours should be coming out soon. In the meanwhile, it just looks dead.

I also have learned that this is a plant that must be allergic to water. If it's overwatered, it develops a scale-looking thing and dries out hard. Just swear at it occasionally. Perhaps taunt it a little bit. It'll be fine.

o

Thanks, Christine.

I've been holding onto the receipt so I can go back for the guarantee if the plant is dead, something I'm not organized enough to do for long. I'll do an observe this weekend and see if there are buds. I'll go out and compare the plant to my jackass "alone in the universe" neighbors who just got an eight month old, poorly socialized part pitbull. Just the perfect dog for them. That should scare the plant into leaf if anything can.

See you at the swap I hope.

o

Well Christine you were exactly right. I just checked on it and there were at least a few leaf bud swellings?

o

By now you should see a bit more. It's a really slow starter, just like Crape myrtles.

Be kind to the dog. Pits are loving dogs with the right owners. It's not its fault his owners are total jerks. Make him your friend and perhaps you can make him pee on their legs.

o

Right you are, first fully formed leaf is out now.

Love dogs, including pit bulls. Hate these neighbors. But this nine-month old pit bull has obviously been mistreated or maybe simply not socialized at all. And this is not the family to fix her problems.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Mid-Atlantic Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here