Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mocknbird

perennials not returning this year?

mocknbird
10 years ago

Has anybody experienced perennials not returning this year due to the extended cold?

Comments (9)

• amanda_m
    10 years ago

I think we lost a few things here in Baltimore Co., especially things that were planted late last year and didn't have time to develop a root system.
    But most things are starting to show signs of life. It is my feeling though that things are starting to pop up later than they usually do.

• davidrt28 (zone 7)
    10 years ago

Yeah I'm seeing it with some things. It seems like for some plants, being covered in snow for weeks on end killed them, even if it prevented the ground from freezing as bad as it otherwise would have.* BUT between those long snow covered periods, we had thaws, which meant there was ground heaving when it froze again. The cold March might have even finished some things off because there was less snow cover. One of my phormiums was still green for the bottom 3-4 inches as of March 1, but it was completely brown by the end of the month.
    OTOH I have some very positive surprises too. The Osteospermum cultivar sold various places as zn 7 or even zn 6 hardy...I forget the name but I got it at Forestfarm...is returning. And it's one of the few South African fibrous-rooted perennials (as opposed to geophytes) to survive the summers here. I've had it since 2008-2009-ish, so it survived the hellish summers of 2010, 2011, and 2012. I tried various things the late lamented Seneca Hill offered, like Sebaeas and perennial Zaluzianskyas, and they all die when the weather gets hot & muggy. Gazanias might last a little longer, particularly in a scree garden, but eventually a heavy summer rainfall will cause them to rot away. Fortunately...most KZN geophytes or rhizomatous plants do fine in our summers, if they are hardy for our winters. All kniphofias including English cultivars like 'Green Jade' are returning with vigor, and I'm pretty sure my Crinums will be ok.

* - I'm fairly certain we had more consistent and deep snow cover here in NE MD than you did in the DC 'burbs. In was only in the last couple snow storms that you got more in NW DC/MoCo, which was fine by me, I was tired of it by then.

This post was edited by davidrt28 on Sun, Apr 13, 14 at 11:13

• mzdee
    9 years ago

I lost my Shasta daisies, dianthus, a few other things. I also lost a beautiful gardenia. But other things that I suspected would fall prey to the extended winter came back strong; wave petunias, clematis, peonies, all of the roses.

• sonnyside
    9 years ago

My butterfly bushes are very slow to start this year. Just a couple of leaves started to show.

• chrismd
    9 years ago

Verbena bonariensis all died, but I have a bazillion seedlings, much more than normal. Fig trees died.

• yardenman
    9 years ago

It was a harsh Winter. But 90% of my perennials came back this year. I think I lost 1 of 10 columbine, a few coneflowers, and maybe 2 of 12 troilus, but everything else came through.

• sonnyside
    9 years ago

Butterfly bushes doing a lot better now.
    Lost my Eucalyptus tree and I don't like that. DARN

• kimka
    9 years ago

A few things didn't come back at all. I lost one butterfly bush completely that had been newly planted the spring before and my neighbor lost a hydrangea completely. I had two old nikko blues die down to the ground so no flowers this year and the dwarf butterfly bush blue chip came back very weak. Oddly I also seem to be missing some of my cardinal flowers that I would be expecting.

On the other hand, the great blue lobelia and the aconitum napellus are coming on gangbusters this year.

• shadeyplace
    9 years ago

my mophead hydrangeas died to the ground so no blooms this year..the paniculatas are fine as are the lacecaps. My camellia suffered but still is kind of hanging on (I will give it another year). All perennials are fine but maybe were about two weeks behind.

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting