Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cfmuehling

Great plant prices!

cfmuehling
17 years ago

Hi all!

I've begun my spring collecting browsing and have found the following at least out here in the Bowie area:

Home Depot has some GREAT Heuchera 'Plum Puddings' on sale for $5.97. They're full and will be dividable soon. They also had some gorgeous, healthy columbine. Lots more, of course, but I got these. Oh, I got a gorgeous Peris for $15.00, which was Doris Wigglemockle or something like that. Burgundy bud pods that broke open into white. I love it.

I was just at Wal-Mart out here and even better. Good sized Heuchera, 'Plum Pudding' 'Purple Palace' (boring) and one I've not seen, 'Regina' for $2.97. I bought an Autopup(urpensa or something) Japanese Maple, 15'' tall for $7.97. They've got some good stuff going on.

Homestead? I walked through there and almost died of "Oh, My, God" at the prices rather than the plants. And you know, I'm one who will buy anything at any price if I like it. They're just gross.

Riva Gardens up in Annapolis is getting a really cool bunch of shrubs, small evergreens, and some very unique things in these days. I think Diane is filling a very interesting niche, with some of the more exotic-looking items. Luckily, she's also smart and really focuses on hardiness for our area. If you're up that way, you have got to stop into Riva Gardens.

Anyway -- Spring is ON!

Christine

Comments (5)

• LynneinMD
    17 years ago

Those all sound very cool for the garden, but NOT for my wallet (it's empty already). I'll have to go scope it out. Although if I bring home any more plants I'll probably get disowned..

I love the little jeepers creepers plants at Homestead but they everything there is pretty pricey unless you catch it on clearance. Nice stuff though.

They have some nice stuff at the PX on Ft. Meade, as well.

The kids and I went to the little farm stand/greenhouse on old 450 in Bowie today (I think it's Collins') and they picked out some petunias and a couple of pretty azaleas. I added some dusty miller and some pretty dwarf dianthus. We planted all the petunias (yup, 36 of them), plus the dusty miller and a bunch of other things this afternoon in our brand new garden in the side yard. Still more to plant, plus we're going to get edging blocks tomorrow so my hubby can mow the grass with confidence (and not wonder if he's mowing over plants or weeds.. =) )

Has anyone been out to the farmstand at the corner of 450 and 424? I don't know if they're open but they had some beautiful plants last year. I don't know if there was anything exotic but we had a great time watching the bees and butterflies in the flowers. I'll have to go check it out.

Have a great night!

Lynne in Bowie

• watergal
    17 years ago

Lynne, be sure to cover your new annuals later this week. It's gonna get COLD starting Wednesday for a few days!

• cynthia_gw
    17 years ago

Saw Cotinus Golden Spirit at Lowe's this week-end. Couldn't find a price, but I don't need one anyway. I don't. I really don't. I did pick up 3 decent sized Cornus alba 'Argenteo Marginata' for $5.97 each. Very good shrub buys there.

I haven't even started hardening off my annuals yet. Just transplanted the petunias to 4" pots this week-end, but they'll be indoors for a few more weeks. Lynnie, they can take a lot of cold if they've been hardened off, so yours will probably be ok, but good idea to have shelter handy for them.

• LynneinMD
    17 years ago

The annuals are in a bed that gets the first morning sun, and we're in a fairly sheltered spot, so they should be okay, but I suspect these have been in a greenhouse until just recently, so will cover them tonight/tomorrow. Thanks for the reminder, it's been so long since I had any annuals, I didn't think about covering them!

Lynne

• lynnt
    17 years ago

Lowes by me has kiwis for $10 each -- the female is Anna and the male is Meades. Anyone tried these around here?

Lynn