Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sujiwan_gw

Roll call for swap on May 10?

Hey everyone,

Due to slow msg rate, I posted in a few other forums about the swap and sent them to MidAtl forum for particulars.

Would it be possible to get a roll call for who is coming? It's hard to tell since the Exchange listings for Food/Haves/Wants do not have much activity to date.

I want to give, no....I *must* give you solanaceous plants!!! Frantic potting is underway and dogged by thoughts that I must surely have been insane at seeding time...

Comments (22)

• burry
    9 years ago

I plan to attend this year for the first time. I have heard wonderful things about the swap!

• ssmdgardener
    9 years ago

I'll be there! Still getting my plants potted.

• nancymd2
    9 years ago

I'll be there! Things are finally starting to move along in my garden. I was planning to post our swap info in a hort club list-serve, so I think spreading the news is a good idea.

• CEFreeman
    9 years ago

I'm coming.

• annebert
    9 years ago

I'll be there!

• gardnwatch
    9 years ago

I will be coming. Sujiwan...I will take all the tomatoes, eggplants, peppers etc that you can spare. I've got a great big veggie garden this year just waiting to be filled with your plants.
    Bonnie

• HotHabaneroLady
    9 years ago

I plan on coming! My mother and I are co-gardening a plot this year as a mother-daughter project, so I am going to bring her too.

The top of my want list would be tabasco pepper plants. Some herbs and maybe some other peppers would also be nice. I have heirloom tomatoes and maybe some seeds to give in exchange! I might even be willing to part with some of my own peppers, although that's iffy . . . it has been a difficult year for starting them.

If there is an address, that would help me find the place because I could GPS it! But I understand if people don't want to post it.

Angie

• chrismd
    9 years ago

Yes, I am coming.

I think we should seriously consider moving this swap off Gardenweb. Gardenweb seems stagnant to me. Anyone have any suggestions, ideas? What I see on Freecycle, etc is that there are plenty of gardeners who would participate if we can get the message out.

• chrismd
    9 years ago

Also, I think a lot of our regulars are winging it - we've got the routine down.

• sujiwan_gw 6b MD/PA
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I think it would be good to expand but because this is a private venue at GardenGramma's you want to have a filter. Maybe the Freecycle groups in your area are a little different. *Some* freecyclers I've met are kinda...well...looking for deals. That's why Gardenweb people attending works because there's already a sort of garden lover selection going on. How about garden clubs in our area or Master Gardener groups?
    Hope you are right about the regulars.

• colleensworld
    9 years ago

I am coming and hopefully bringing a few neighbors. I look forward as always to going. Thanks!

• CEFreeman
    9 years ago

I was thinking about Hometalk, but it's pretty nonselective. Does anyone here blog? That's an interesting way to spread the word to people who are actually interested.

Christine

• herbal
    9 years ago

I'll be there. I agree that many people may know the routine and will show up. I can't wait! It's my one untouchable day of the year. Nothing competes with it. Free plants, great conversation and Henrietta's garden of immense beauty... I'm sooo there.

• busyasabee
    9 years ago

I will be there.

Jette

• springplanter
    9 years ago

me too
    Carol

• wtgxi
    9 years ago

It has been so cold this year, I can't believe it is time again. Wont miss it for the world. thanks again grandma

• kilngod
    9 years ago

I'll be there!

• soiljunkie
    9 years ago

I will be there, too. Still potting...

• sujiwan_gw 6b MD/PA
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Oh boy--bring umbrellas! I'm glad we do this rain or shine. :-)
    Bringing van full of tomatoes/eggplants and truck full of peppers this year.

• bethbonemiller
    9 years ago

I am returning after a few years off!

Beth

• chrismd
    9 years ago

Sujiwan - I agree that it would not be wise to put this event up on Freecycle for the reasons you suggest. My Freecycle comment only means that I am sure there are many congenial gardeners out there who would be happy to participate, but how do we reach them? Do we want to move this event to Meetup or is there another possibility? Do we want to have a sign-up email list like Yahoo?

Just exploring possibilities....

• sujiwan_gw 6b MD/PA
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hi Chrismd,

How did you find the turn out numbers to be this year? It felt like maybe there were more people than last year, but I could be wrong.

I kind of like the Meetup idea, but it would have to be OK'd with Henrietta since they have been hosting for a long time. The advantage is that it would be new people who join that out of common interests.

The problem with closed/"inbred" swaps is that we start to see most of the same things offered each year. I see this with my garden club-we all have each other's stuff. I kind of feel obligated to do the tomato-pepper-eggplant thing because so many people want them. I do vary my varieties at least. But-- It's good to always have new people who bring a fresh set of offerings and that find what we have to be new to them.

I think Freecycle could be OK except it is geared toward people coming to take, rather than swapping (in my experience). It would be cool to have a venue like a giant flea market situation where it's always fun and a surprise to see what you can find. However, at those, someone is usually having to man a table and can't walk around as the object is $.

Anyway, why are the forums like MidAtl so quiet these days? What is taking their place? Is forum discussion age related ? Love to see the demographics for GardenWeb and which forum is most active.

Sue (Sujiwan)

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!