Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
aka_peggy

Source for chojuro Asian pear, Md, S. Pa, Va

aka_peggy
16 years ago

If anyone knows where I might find this tree locally please let me know. I'm willing to drive an hour or so from the Frederick, Md area to pick it up.

Thanks~

Comments (10)

• karyn1
    16 years ago

I don't know about Asian Pears specifically but there's a nursery in VA called Edible Landscape that I've bought fruit trees from in the past and have always been pleased. I've ordered through their online catalog and am not sure where in VA they are. Here's a link. http://www.eat-it.com/
    Karyn

• aka_peggy
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Hi Karyn, EL is located in Afton Va, near Charlottesville. I've been there a few times and love the place. In fact, that's where I found my other Asian pears. Unfortunately, they don't stock chojuro;(

• kurtg
    16 years ago

Rain Tree carries them mail order. Still in stock, but it's getting late for most MO places. I've ordered before from them and they send large feathered stock 4-5'.

http://www.raintreenursery.com/catalog/producttype.cfm?producttype=Pears%2DAsian

Here is a link that might be useful: Rain Tree Nursery

• aka_peggy
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks Kurt, I know about Raintree but I'd hoped to find a local source. I've never ordered from them but it sounds as if they sell nice stock. I might just give them a shot.

• aka_peggy
    Original Author
    16 years ago

If Raintree carries chojuro, I can't find it on their website.

• jakejones
    16 years ago

You should try Sun Nurseries. They have Asian pears and a lot of other stuff.

I bought some from ONE GREEN WORLD. They send whips, which are one year old trees. They grow fast and are probably much better in the long run they older, potted plants. Try some of the newer, more resistant varieties.

• aka_peggy
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks Jake,

Where is Sun Nurseries?

Interesting, but last weekend I was driving through Mercersburg, PA and happened upon a very quaint nursery there. I was sooo surprised to see that they had a few Asian pears. These were not whips either. They were a large size grown in 20" grow bags and they were $22!! That's far less than what I paid for 10" sizes at Edible Landscapes. I paid $45 but I think the price has gone up.

I still didn't find chojuro but I did get Korean Giant and it has 6 pears on it. They had a number of interesting plants that I rarely see locally including a wonderful assortment of Japanese maples. See the link.

Ps...I'm too old to plant whips:)

Here is a link that might be useful: Buck Run Nursery

• crabjoe
    16 years ago

Not sure if this will help, but you might try giving Boyer Nursery a call. They're located northwest of Gettysburg, PA.

I've never been there, but I know the local veggi stand (Jim's market in Notingham, PA) gets their trees and shrubs for sale from them. I was able to pick up a Korean Giant from Jim's for $12. The tree I got was no whip either. It's a good 6 feet tall!

• aka_peggy
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Hey...I just called Boyer's and they do carry Asian pears. They don't have chojuro but they said they'd try to get them next year.

They were so nice. I guess I'll have to take a ride one day and check this place out!

Thanks!

• jakejones
    16 years ago

Sun Nurseries is near 97 and 70. Worth the trip! Great prices on shade trees. Fruit trees are well priced, compared to other nurseries. I think they have a lot of Stark Bros.

I have been very happy with whips from ONE GREEN WORLD. They really do grow fast and make up the difference in 2-3 years. Mine fruited the second year I had them. More selection too.

Try one of the newer patented Asian Pears -- only a dollar more.

Sponsored