Return to the Mid-Atlantic Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
'After all danger of frost is past'?

Posted by gypsysunrise Z6 VA (My Page) on
Tue, Apr 21, 09 at 16:00

I am somewhat new to gardening. New to starting plants from seed, definitely! lol So.. I have a question. When a seed packet says, "sow seeds outdoors in spring in a sunny location after all danger of frost is past" - when would that be for someone in zone 6, living in southwestern Virginia?

Thanks in advance!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: 'After all danger of frost is past'?

Perhaps a call to your local Agricultural Extension Agent would be of help. Steve in Baltimore County

o

Google "last frost date" and your town's name or "southwestern virginia" or your zip code and you should pull up something. It will be sometime in May.

o

Thank you both for your replies.. =)

o

Or check out the winter sowing forum for more ideas.

o

Also, you might check the 10-day forecast before you plant out. I find this very helpful when I am trying to decide whether to go ahead or wait another week or two. If nighttime temperatures are forecasted below 50, I'd wait. I might also wait if it were going to pour down rain for several days.

Let me rephrase that-- I didn't check the forecast and it's now pouring down rain and washing away my seeds and killing my seedlings. :-/ so, I heartily RECOMMEND that you be smarter than me and check the forecast. . . .

Happy planting :-)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Mid-Atlantic Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here