Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sandra_christie

where are my worms?

sandra_christie
17 years ago

I made two raised beds last Fall, filled them with composted manure from a horse farm in Davidsonville, and just last week planted some lettuce seedlings. I see NO, (that's NOTHING) - worms or other life in these beds. I had this problem with another bed where I used Leafgro to make a raised bed (and thought that the leafgro was the problem) - lovely looking "soil" but no life. My tomatoes hated it. What am I doing wrong?

Comments (7)

• darcieg
    17 years ago

It's too early. I have been out working in the yard and haven't seen any worms either. But I know they'll be there when it warms up. I found the following on another website:

Down They Go: Worms in Winter
    When temperatures drop or soils get too warm or dry, worms know what to do. If it starts getting chilly, many kinds of worms tunnel deep into the soil before it freezes. Worms "migrate" downward, burrowing deeper to get past the frost. Sometimes they dig six feet deep! There they stay in their burrows, prisoners below soil frozen hard as rock and topped by ice and snow. They coil into a slime-coated ball and go into a sleep-like state called estivation, which is similar to hibernation for bears. (The mucous, or slime, keeps the worms from drying out.) Worms will survive in frozen or dry soils by estivation until conditions improve.

Not all kinds of earthworms make that downward journey to survive winter. Some kinds of earthworms lay their eggs in cocoons safe in the soil to hatch when conditions are right. Then they settle under leaf litter on top of the soil, where winter's cold makes them freeze and die.

• crabjoe
    17 years ago

I don't know where you live, but I was moving some soil in my year 3 days ago for a new tree and there were worms everywhere and I live just below the MD/PA line in Cecil Co, MD.

• sandra_christie
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thanks for the info. I'm zone 7 near Annapolis, so if Cecil Co. has worms on the move, I should be seeing some too, maybe soon.

• ninelargec
    17 years ago

I'm starting to see them and I'm over in Arlington Va - not too far from Annapolis.

• beth_b_kodiak
    17 years ago

Before this storm there were LOTS of worms here on the E Shore.
    Did you mix the composted manure with the soil at all or just pile it on top?

• LynneinMD
    17 years ago

I'm in Bowie, MD, and had a whole BUNCH of worms in mid-late march, when it was warm. Saw some yesterday as we were out in the yard in the rain, too....maybe they just take longer to get to the top of the raised bed?? I truly have no idea, though..

Lynne

• collectordi
    17 years ago

Worms like organic matter that hasn't decomposed. Once it is completely composted they aren't that interested in it. Throw a layer of leaves and grass clippings on top and they'll appear. You know what else they love is plastic. I keep plastic bags around for yard waste (weeds to heinous to trust in the compost bin) and every time I pick up one up there are lots of worms underneath.

Sponsored