Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
watergal_gw

Going nuts about the weather

watergal
17 years ago

Am I the only one here going bananas with this late winter? I am dying to get out in the yard, but my few free days have been freezing cold, or pouring rain, or both. I have so many garden chores to do, including digging stuff for the MAG swap, and haven't even started yet.

On the plus side, my houseplants have been getting way more attention than usual and are loving it!

Comments (7)

• thistle5
    17 years ago

Yes, I hate this back & forth, I was screaming at my husband yesterday (he's just returned to this area), 'It's supposed to be spring!'. But hopefully, the plants are smarter than I am, know when they're supposed to bloom-I went out today & bought a bunch more roses...yesterday, at the garden center, it was a fire bucket brigade of carting hydrangeas inside (they have already been in & out several times). This is it, right?-no more waffling about spring...

• Brent_In_NoVA
    17 years ago

I agree! I did mange to get a bunch done in my garden on the Saturday before Easter. Mostly weeding, spreading mulch and ripping out bushes. I was bundled up good to keep warm but I would say that it was nicer than working on a humid 95 degree day.

What I really need is for my garden to wake up. I moved into my new place a year ago. I have plans to move a bunch of stuff around but first the plants have to show themselves. It seems like my garden and my wintersown seedling have been pretty much stalled for the last month. Hopefully the weatherman is not pulling my leg about the 70 degree and sunny weather on tap for the weekend!!!

- Brent

• collectordi
    17 years ago

Despite this crazy weather it seems my garden is doing pretty well. The daffodils have lasted a really long time. If it had been 70 degrees for the last few weeks they'd have been long gone by now. But I'm not getting much done. I still haven't finished pruning my roses.

• watergal
    Original Author
    17 years ago

OK, there's a bright spot - the daffodils. You found a silver lining in this endless late winter...

• karyn1
    17 years ago

I feel like all I've been doing is complaining about the weather. I've barely gotten anything done in the yard. It's been too damn cold to work outside. If's it's below 60 I'm inside. We've had a few nice days here and there but not nearly enough. My plants have survived, including all my winter sown stuff but they are all less than half the size they should be by now : (
    Karyn

• spanaval
    17 years ago

Two months from now, we'll all be complaining about how hot and humid it is, and how we need all the rain we can get and how it's to darn hot to work outside.

Personally, I'm happy for this weather. The flowers last longer, I don't sweat buckets when out, there aren't very many bugs, all the stuff I potted up for the swap are doing fine, and I haven't had to water them once.

• jomama49
    17 years ago

I just came in from planting one peony, one rubekia, and two creeping phlox. I feel so much better! I love winter, and I love spring, but I don't like being in limbo between the two!
    Jo

Sponsored
Daniel Russo Home
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars13 Reviews
Premier Interior Design Team Transforming Spaces in Franklin County