Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dawnstorm

OK, so why can't I grow phlox?

dawnstorm
19 years ago

Everybody and his dog has beautiful phlox growing, but the stuff I planted two seasons ago is dead. At least I can't see it! Is phlox a biennal? What am I doing wrong? The place where I planted it gets full sun and the soil's pretty loamy. What gives? IIRC the name of the cultivar was 'Icicle' or some such 'ice' name. Obviously it was white phlox. A lot of the phlox I see in other people's yards is lavendar.

Comments (8)

• collectordi
    19 years ago

What kind of Phlox? The low kind that's blooming now- Phlox subulata? It would help if we knew what phlox we're talking about. There are annual phloxes as well as perennial ones.

• dawnstorm
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Hmmm,maybe I had an annual one; I know it was low-growing and bloomed at this time.

• juliat
    18 years ago

A problem we've had in our yard is powdery mildew. Our neighbors love cramming as many plants as possible into the garden between our yards, resulting in humid, stagnant (lack of) air circulation and plants that brown and shrivel.

For my own yard, last year I did plant one phlox "David," because it's mildew-resistant. It's a white-blossoming upright type. It did get some twisty leaves at the end of the summer, but not horrible damage.

• bogturtle
    18 years ago

I have formed some opinions, but that is all they are.
    Certain smaller, old fashioned types bloom in half day sun in total neglect around here. The flowers are half the size of the beautiful ones offered today. I believe these older sorts would grow easily for you. The only one I have tried of the newer is David, for its white flowers. I have not had great success, but don't fuss much about most additions' care. My great favorite is Miss Lingard, a variety of a smaller species of Phlox that has been in cultivation since the 1920's. Half or 1/3 the size of the ones offered and as dependable and easy as they come. Miss Lingard is white flowered. Most people seem to try several times before they give up, so try again with the ones you find most attractive. I will pick up another plant of 'David' if mine are not showing up this Spring. The foliage does not seem distinctive to me, so I am not sure mine is still alive.

• cynthia_gw
    18 years ago

Dawn, I have to think that you're talking about phlox subulata - the creeping phlox that blooms in spring, and not Phlox paniculata (tall phlox like 'David' and 'Miss Lingard'). Sometimes P.subulata dies out in the center after a few years, but otherwise should be easy to establish with enough sun and average soil. Just make sure the soil isn't boggy wet or desert dry. I'd say run down to Home Depot and buy some more. Plant again and make sure you water well until established. It will have spread half again by next year.

• adlumia
    18 years ago

Dawn - Are you talking about the above mentioned Phlox subdulata which is not quite blooming in my too shady z6 garden - or are you talking about a taller variety. The tall ones are up a bit but not in bloom yet. BUT there is a plant called Dames Rocket (Hesperis)- which is called wild phlox by lots of people in NJ. It is in bloom now or near now - is purple/pink or white and is a self seeding biennial. I guess it might look like a phlox from far away but is in the mustard family. Hope this helps.
    adlumia

• lettssee
    18 years ago

dawn, if you are coming to the swap in md then I can bring you some if you would like. that is the low ones that are blooming now. If you are and would like some then would you want the white again or pink or purple? I don't have any of the taller ones otherwise I would offer.
    Lettssee

• dawnstorm
    Original Author
    18 years ago

This was the low-growing kind--I believe it was called 'Icicle'. I might have the tag somewhere.
    Letssee, I'd love to have some of your excess. I never miss a swap!!

Sponsored
KA Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Industry Leading General Contractors in Columbus