Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kandy53

looking for a late blooming full-sun azalea

kandy53
16 years ago

I am looking for a zone 6 azalea for full sun that blooms in June for (pool-side)enjoyment, that grows 3-4' high and wide. Prefer a varigated leaf. Also, I would prefer an evergreen variety- but what advantage is there to decidious vs evergreen? Are the blooms better in general for one over the other? My yard is fenced, so deer aren't a big problem. I also like a color other than red or white.

Comments (7)

• cynthia_gw
    16 years ago

It sounds like you would be better off with roses or another full sun shrub or grasses in that spot. Any particular reason why you're thinking of an azalea and why you want it to bloom in June? They're a spring bloomer. Azalea's will grow in sun, but will always do better in some shade and the flowers will last longer in shade.

• avoirgold
    16 years ago

I have a ton of azaleas of differing varieties and none of them bloom that late. They are all done by mid- to late-May. I pair them with perennials for summer color around my pool. I also don't have any that are variegated, though mine are all pretty old. I didn't know that they came in variegated. Also, they really do much better in part shade or more.

Have you considered a butterfly bush instead? There are some that bloom earlier. You may also want to consider going to a local nursery (not lowes or home depot!) to see what they would suggest. I have done that in the past and they can be very helpful. I don't always buy from them, but their info is great.

Jen

• alina_1
    16 years ago

There are several varieties of variegated Azaleas. All of them look somewhat alike (probably similar parentage). I have 3 different variegated Azaleas and all 3 are starting to bloom now.

• dray67
    16 years ago

There is a NEW variety called encore. it is a a true FALL blooming azalea that prefers FULL SUN!

Here is a link that might be useful: encore

• cynthia_gw
    16 years ago

You may not have noticed the poster is in zone 6? BTW the 'full sun' is a bit of a marketing stretch. Even the site you linked indicates that they need to be protected from afternoon sun.

• gardenpaws_VA
    16 years ago

I know you said you wanted evergreen, but for all the other requirements, you'll do much better with one of the (preferably native) deciduous ones. If you've got plenty of moisture, look at the R. atlanticum and viscosum selections and hybrids. General color is white or pink, with gold or orange markings in the throat, intense fragrance, and fall color in the leaves. For the most part, flowers on the deciduous varieties are larger than those on the hardier sorts of evergreen azaleas.
    Here in Herndon, my plant blooms in May, but in Massachusetts where I first met them, they bloomed around July 4. FWIW, we really enjoyed walking the path between the plants to swim in the pond!

Here is a link that might be useful: pics of native species

• LynneinMD
    15 years ago

Has anyone been to the Azalea Gardens/nursery in Glenn Dale? I figure if anyone will know of an azalea that will work for your purpose, they will, but I haven't been out there (yet).

Good luck!

Oh, Jen - your unknown from last year's swap turned out to be red. I think I'm gonna move it to a shadier spot though, before it totally cooks this summer. =)

Lynne in Bowie MD

Sponsored