Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
newinva

heavy metals in VA soil?

newinva
16 years ago

Hi folks,

I just got testing for heavy metals back (in MY body) and am sky high for uranium...yes, uranium. Now the question is how the heck that happened. I do eat a lot from my garden, does anyone know if there are issues with heavy metals in the soil in Fairfax, VA or a good soil metals test?

Many thanks,

Cheryl

Comments (3)

• gardener_sandy
    16 years ago

Your local cooperative extension office might have some answers for you or could tell you of a lab that could do the testing. I've never heard of it being a problem but I doubt most people are ever tested for heavy metals and I certainly don't hear everything either!

Your name "newinva" indicates you haven't lived here very long. Where are you from? Could the contamination be from your previous residence? If no one can find a source near where you live now, look back in time to where you were before.

You also might take this to the soil, compost and mulch forum. There are some people there with tons of knowledge who might be able to point you in the right direction. There's a link below.

Good luck. I hope you find the source and that all goes well for you.

Here is a link that might be useful: Soils forum

• eibren
    15 years ago

I don't know about your area, but the Susquehanna River in PA catches runoff from abandoned coal mines, and I have heard that the natural contamination from that vastly overshadows any from TMI.

Are there any mining operations near you?

Other possiblities would be military installations and abandoned industry dump sites.

Active industry could also be a factor if any near you use uranium for anything. Children have, for example, received lead poisoning by living near car paint shops.

The glow-in-the-dark dials they used to paint on watches were more radioactive than the ones out now...do you wear one of those, or live near a place where they were made?

If you can't get answeers, I would call Homeland Security and see if they have any ideas on the subject. They should be monitoring for that sort of thing anyway. :(

• kimka
    15 years ago

I don't know if it has anything to do with your "uranium in the body" problem, but Maryland and northern Virginia (as well as other states) have naturally high levels of uranium in the soil.

Sponsored
Castle Wood Carpentry, Inc
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County