Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
drscottr

Great Greenhouse - Nursery found

drscottr
16 years ago

I drive weekly past a farm on route 97 in maryland's Severna Park area and have been interested in the dozen or so huge greenhouses on the property. There is a barn selling produce as well. The barn has the name Papa John's on it. Today I managed to get off the highway and find the place and was amazed.

They have a dozen 200 foot long greenhouses stuffed with every type of flower and vegetable seedling imaginable. There were at least 40 varieties of tomatoes, 20 peppers, 15 melons, 10 zucchini, okra, 10 cucumbers, lettuce, cabbage, etc. The tomatoes included heirloom varieties.

The plants were in all stages of development and the prices were cheap. The tomatoes were thick and bushy not leggy like many that I see. I picked up a market pack of super 100's cherry tomatoes (4 plants), a market pack of Okra, and a third market pack for a total of $4.95.

All the vegetables filled just one greenhouse and a couple of open trailers. The other nine greenhouses and dozen trailers had flowers and plants. Wavy petunias were about half the price of regular nurseries and available in a dozen colors for example.

I spoke at length to one of the family members that run the operation. Apparently they've been in business for several generations. They will be seeding vegetable plants until June. I think they also sell commercially to retailers. I did notice Giant food trailers on the property which includes a number of huge fields on which they plant crops.

I normally grow all my own vegetables from seed but I have to admit their plants looked better than mine grown under artificial lights. I will probably see what fails this year from my homegrown seedlings and then go back their to fill in what I need.

The address is New Cut road and route 97.

Comments (13)

• gardnwatch
    16 years ago

DrScott..
    Thank you for the info....I have often wondered about that place too while traveling down 97. Now I know.
    Thanks....I must check it out.

Bonnie

• mirka_g
    16 years ago

What is closeby, 97 goes directly north, not anywhere near Severna Park
    Mary

• fannychup
    16 years ago

How was the flower selection? Fanny

• graywings123
    16 years ago

I think you mean Severn, MD.
    The address is:
    8065 New Cut Rd, Severn

Papa John is on the west side of I-97, vaguely in the area of the Wawa that you see on the east side as you drive along 97.

• cfmuehling
    16 years ago

Mary, you'd have to come south to catch 97.

I've passed this, too, and will keep 'em in mind! Great to know!

Christine

• drscottr
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Whoops was Severn. In between Baltimore and Annapolis. I was amazed by the place.

• drscottr
    Original Author
    16 years ago

In response to the question. There were nine huge greenhouses with flowers and other small plants. Each greenhouse was at least 150 feet long and 30 feet wide.

• LynneinMD
    16 years ago

Cool! I lived across the highway in the apts there about 12 years ago, and haven't been to the greenhouse there since we moved back to the area. I'll DEFINITELY be checking it out soon. For some reason I guess I thought they were wholesalers only, that's why I hadn't stopped.

I did go to Frank's Nursery (on the corner of Rt. 450 and Rt. 193) in what I think is Glenn Dale, they had some nice plants and the prices were not bad.

We also went to Collins' Greenhouse (on old 450 in Bowie, near the Ace Hardware Store - Hardware City, I think it's called) and they had lots of annuals that looked very nice. We got a couple of tomato plants for my son and some other plants to try out.

Lynne

• mirka_g
    16 years ago

Hi
    route 97 to me is Georgia avenue, upon which I have travelled many miles. Way back when, it was the only route north towards Frederick
    Mary

• LynneinMD
    16 years ago

Mary, head further east... Interstate 97 goes from Annapolis to Baltimore. The greenhouse is two or three (I think three) exits south of the BWI exit. I'm pretty sure you can see it from the highway in both directions.

=)

Lynne

• sandra_christie
    16 years ago

Visited yesterday, on this recommendation. I was not disappointed!!! I got all my window box plants and lots of veggies at great prices, and the variety is great.
    Thanks for a great tip.

• kimka
    16 years ago

I went to check it out too and got my deck and window box plants too. Good prices, nice plants.

• arussell_teamdtri_com
    16 years ago

I go there every year to supplement what I grow from seed. They have great flowers and great vegetable plants. They also sell pumpkins in the fall and Christmas trees too! They are very nice. They are open to all who want to spend money. they also sell hay because I bought some hay once for halloween decorations. I live about 10 minutes away and there isn't a growing season yet that I haven't been there.

Sponsored
HEMAX Construction Services & Landscaping, LLC
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars34 Reviews
Innovative & Creative Landscape Contractors Servicing VA