Return to the Mid-Atlantic Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Anyone recognize this tree?

Posted by christy2828 7 MD (My Page) on
Fri, Apr 14, 06 at 17:19

I have this tree in my backyard with white blooms on top, and pink blooms on the bottom. It is about 4 stories tall. There is also one in the front yard with only pink blooms. I do believe they are the same kind of tree, but why the different blooms? And what kind of tree is it? It also has small berries that they birds eat after it blooms. Thanks!

Here is a link that might be useful: Yahoo Pictures

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Anyone recognize this tree?

Looks like a flowering crabapple to me. They often have pink blooms that fade to white the more sun there is.

o

I doesn't fade to white. Literally, the upper portion of the tree is white blooms, and the bottom portion of the tree is pink blooms. Many of these trees are in my neighborhood and almost all are completely pink. There is one small one at the beginning of the neighborhood that is half and half also. There is no chance that it is two different trees.

o

It could either be a sport or some grafted branches at the top. This looks like what has become popular as street trees here - Prunus serrulata (Japanese Cherry). There are a bunch of cultivars ('Kwanzan' is what is mostly planted here). 'Mt. Fuji' looks like it has pink buds that open to white.

Here is a link that might be useful: Kwanzan Cherry

o

My guess would be kwanzan cherry also. Here's a close-up pic of the blooms.

Here is a link that might be useful: Kwanzan cherry

o

I had a flowering crabapple in front of my old house that dropped berries after it bloomed. It bloomed in April almost entirely white. That's exactly what the picture looks like to me.

o

That's really interesting - I think it's a flowering crabapple grafted onto a Kwanzan cherry. The white flowers look apple-like. Kwanzan cherry trees (I mean the ordinary, ungrafted kind) do not bear fruit. Do the "berries" occur on the upper part of the tree where the white flowers are now? Many ornamental crabapple varieties have been bred for very small fruit, the size of berries.

o

I posted this one the 'Name that Plant' forum. Please check it, it's very interesting what they've come up with!!

o

Let's post a link to the other thread and not leave everyone in suspense! This mystery has a "sweet" solution, not the one I suggested. May you can guess the answer from my clue before reading link.

Here is a link that might be useful: fruity white flowers above

o

Hehe, thanks!! I feel like I have a beautiful and special tree. Thanks for your help!! Christy

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Mid-Atlantic Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here