Return to the Mid-Atlantic Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Pruning Snowfountain Weeping Cherry

Posted by kfroddy z7 WDC (My Page) on
Wed, Apr 6, 05 at 17:52

I'd like to put a small Snowfountain weeping cherry right in front of my one-story house. Is it possible through pruning to keep it around 7 feet high? Also, what is the minimum distance I should plant from my house? Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Pruning Snowfountain Weeping Cherry

A short web search showed me that the tree grows to about 10-12' x 10-12'. It is recommended for bonsai, so it should take pruning. Figure half the width plus 2-3 feet away from the house. 6+3=9, 5+3=8, so 8-9 feet from the house.

o

I have one in my front yard. She is about 12 years old now. Probably about 8-9 ft wide and 7-8 ft tall. I do prune her each year to keep from out growing her space. The Star Magnolia is first to start blooming in my yard, then Snowfountain is second. Then the beautiful Yoshino Cherry. Love all of them. After a long winter, beautiful blooms are a site for sore eyes.

o

I've never been able to warm up to the Snowfountain. That drastic up-&-down growth pattern just looks weird to me. Perhaps if I were planting it in a Japanese garden I'd find it more appealing. But in the general landscape, to me it just looks like a tube - lol!!

My absolute favorite weeping tree is a weeping crabapple called "Louisa". It has a much more open, low, spreading, weeping habit, & is just SO very pretty. Flower buds start out dark pink - almost red - then open into 2-tone white-dark pink single flowers. In the fall, the tree sports small gold crabapples that the birds adore. What more could you ask for?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Mid-Atlantic Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here