Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tomdiorio

Need help selecting vine for fence

Tomdiorio
10 years ago

Hello all. I live in south western Pennsylvania. I have an aluminum ornimental fence. About half of it is hidden behind emerald green arborvitae sitting in a mulch bed, the other half has nothing. I don't want anything that is very large because sometimes I pull my truck in the backyard for mulching.

I am looking for a vine, or something narrow that I can plant near the fence to give us some privacy. The arborvitae are great, but the open section on the fence is wide open to people walking on the sidewalk behind it.

I was thinking either sweet autumn clematis, or some variety of climbing rose. I don't have a green thumb and was looking for something that is easy to grow.

Comments (3)

• dawnstorm
    10 years ago

Hmm, a sweet autumn clematis sounds good. Have you thought about a conventional clematis?
    For an annual, I would suggest a scarlet runner bean or a purple bean hyacinth vine.
    Lately I've seen what looks like the love child of a honeysuckle vine and a forsythia. I don't know what it is but it's in bloom right now.

• CEFreeman
    10 years ago

I had to laugh at "not very large".
    Have you any experience with vines? Like mold, weeds, fungus, etc., they all start small.

I'd have to agree with a clematis, but a sweet autumn clematis is also known as a "castle killer" because it gets so big it can pull down walls. Like wisteria, ivy, vinca, chcolate vine, honeysuckles (both local and Chinese) etc.

Something like a named variety, Jackmanii, or such can be nice. They're perennials, too.

If you're (crazy) still looking, I have the last 3 I mentioned, including 3 Chinese varieties. Beautiful, but agressive.

• Tomdiorio
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you for your ideas. I guess I should have been more specific about "not very large". What I mean is, something that is flat against the fence, therefore requiring a very little to no mulch bed.

Sponsored
Fineline Deck Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars11 Reviews
Women Owned Construction Company Specializing in High Quality Decks