Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dgs9r

bad case of delphinium

dgs9r
17 years ago

Today I got a two-year old delphinium $15 from valley view farm. I am very doubtful about it surviving the hot and humid summer here, but my 9-year-old was beside herself over it. The leaves are gorgeous by themselves. She dug the hole this evening and planted it in her mini garden facing east.

I also got a raspberry bush, and hope it doesn't get a lot of bugs.

I'm looking forward to the coming swap.

deepti

Comments (12)

• spanaval
    17 years ago

Some delphiniums do better than others, but in an eastern exposure, they might do okay. They are heavy feeders, so you can try to keep them well fertilized to keep going. You may want to look at Green Mountain Transplants as a cheap source of Delphinium. Of course, the catch is that you'll end up spending a whole lot, because you have to order 32 cell flats.

Make sure not to plant the raspberry with anything else you care about. They spread about rather vigorously, and can eat other things in their path.

• dgs9r
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thanks Suja! I will go feed the delph. I just bought one plant right now as a trial to see how it does (and b/c its expensive!)

Would you know of cultivars that do better here?

I'll have to move some hostas near the raspberry but that's all I think. It is near some large bushes like forsythia and something else at the back, so they can compete I guess.
    deepti

• watergal
    17 years ago

Give it a shot. Lupines aren't supposed to grow well here either, yet I grew some from seed years ago and they are thriving and reseeding happily.

I don't think Valley View would sell stuff that is inappropriate for our climate - they are a class act.

• spanaval
    17 years ago

Dem's fighting words, watergal. Why aren't we (or at least me) seeing any of these thriving and reseeding Lupines on your 'Haves' list? Enquiring minds want to know.

Deepti, I think that Patrick (Molineux) had posted pictures either here or on the Antique rose forum of some Delphs he had good luck with. They were from the Magic Fountain series. I got a couple, but mine are much too young, and it's too soon to tell anything about their performance. I am encouraged by the fact that they didn't promptly die as all their predecessors have done, and have ordered a few more for this Spring.

Oh, and no feeding the baby Delphs until they're well established, unless it's through a slow release fertilizer.

Suja

• watergal
    17 years ago

suja, because I never thought about it, that's why! I'm new at this swap stuff!

the seedlings don't transplant very well at all, so I either leave them where they land or I try to rip them out. I don't have them spreading invasively or anything; I started by planting three and end up with about half a dozen plants in slightly different colors and locations each year.

If you would like some seeds, email me your address or give it to me at the swap and I will send you some when they are ready (June? July?). I started with a packet of Russell Hybrids, and what I have now is just the blue/purple/white ones. The blooms last a long time during the years when we have a cool spring.

• aka_peggy
    17 years ago

I have Russel lupines I grew from seed last year. No flowers yet but the plants look beautiful this spring.

Someone gave seedlings of delphinium's 2 yrs ago. I recall that they are the "Magic Fountain" series...thanks to Suja for jarring my memory. The flowers are delicate looking and spiky to 4'. They flowered almost all summer. The pic below is the closest thing I could find to describe them. The colors are an unbelievable sky blue, purple and a white. I've seen this type used in flower arrangements many times. They flowered from seed the 1st yr and I was very impressed by them. They do get some shade from afternoon sun.

I grew them easily last year from seed I collected. I'll be happy to share some seeds this summer. I MAY..maybe have seed left from last year. I'll have to check.

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:1048312}}

• aka_peggy
    17 years ago

I just found a better picture of my delph's than the one above. Look at "delphinium belladonna" below, the 2nd set of pics. Those are the ones I have. As for the ones referred to as "Magic Fountains," some of mine look similiar to those but all mine are singles.

Btw, they do require staking.

Here is a link that might be useful: I want em all!

• dgs9r
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Well, my daughter's delph survived the 80+ degrees the last few days, and is looking good. Maybe the placement is ok -- time will tell. Of course the real test might be when the humidity kicks in. Suja thanks for correcting about the fertilizer; I'll put slow release for now.

Peggy and Watergal, I noticed you are in 6B. Is that cooler? Maybe that's why you're able to grow lupines?
    Deepti

• watergal
    17 years ago

I'm right on the line between 6B and 7A. Maybe that tiny difference helps. I have them next to a northwest wall with a little shade from a maple and cool winds.

• aka_peggy
    17 years ago

Dgs9r, time will tell whether I'll be successful in growing lupines or not. Ask me again in August:)Even tho I'm a half zone cooler than you we still get that unbearable humidity in summer. I think the cooler nights make a big difference.

• watergal
    17 years ago

Suggestion, after the lupines finish blooming, the foliage gets brown and ratty looking. Cut it off and you will get nice fresh new leaves. The foliage also stays a bit nicer if you deadhead the flowers before they make seeds (of course, then you don't get it to self-seed though).

• aka_peggy
    17 years ago

I was at K-Mart yesterday in Frederick, Md and guess what they had? 2 qt pots of delphinium "magic fountains." There were several different colors and flower types. They were labeled larkspur. They looked very healthy...but they likely had just gotten them in. They were $6 ea.

Sponsored
Buckeye Basements, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars31 Reviews
Central Ohio's Basement Finishing ExpertsBest Of Houzz '13-'21