Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
christy2828

Black and Blue Salvia (salvia guaranitica)

christy2828
18 years ago

I am looking for this Brazilian Sage specifically. Has any one seen it at a nursery? I cannot make it to the swap next weekend, my daughter is being baptized!! I do have a little lanterns columbine if anyone may want to trade for this plant. Thanks! Christy

Comments (13)

• gardenpaws_VA
    18 years ago

Fortunately, it's becoming pretty common at garden centers that go in for "fancy annuals", though it's still on the pricy side. Places like Behnke's and the big one near Annapolis are almost certain to have it, and you might find a local gardener who has extra or will share a cutting with you.

Depending on where you are in Maryland, you'll very possibly be able to grow it as a perennial (given sufficiently good drainage). It has come back for me 2 years running, and I'm in VA, west of DC.

Robin

• christy2828
    Original Author
    18 years ago

I went to Behnke's, they had a ton of salvia's. But not one guaranitica. I asked someone who worked there if they were gonna get it in, and she said that for the years she's worked there, they've never carried it. I've stopped by the Lowe's and Home Depot several times, and a few other locals around here, but nothing!

• juliat
    18 years ago

Last summer I saw it at Sam's Farm on Route 7 near the East Falls Church metro. End of summer is a good time to look for this sage. Most nurseries around here get plants in just before they go into bloom -- which for 'Black and Blue' salvia is late summer. You could google it to find mail-order nurseries, though.

Last year, someone did bring this to the swap -- so don't give up hope of finding a trader, too.

• rosewomann
    17 years ago

I saw it at American Plant Food in the herb section for a decent price. That's at the beltway in Bethesda.

Rose

• kaffeina
    17 years ago

http://selectseeds.com/cgi-bin/start.cgi/2006/html/productdetail.htm?store.prodno=p3270

4.95 from here if you cant' find it anywhere else, i really like select seeds but i've never bought an actual plant from them

• cynthia_gw
    17 years ago

Check the herb sections of the nurseries. Some include it there or in the tender perennial section. But it's hardy in my gardens. Christy where are you located?

• christy2828
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I'm in Laurel, MD. Thanks!

• lvmygrdn
    17 years ago

Meadows Farm had it in Clarksburg/Germantown area. Snells in Mt Airy usually carries it as well.

• wyldeflwr
    17 years ago

Christy! I live in Laurel. I just purchased this at the Lowes on Rt.#1. They had large pots of it for $9.99. I don't usually pay that much for one plant, but it was really huge, loaded with flower buds and looked really great.I too had been searching everywhere for it and no one had it until I stumbled across it at Lowes. I put mine in the ground and hope to overwinter it here. Check it out!
    Shirley

• christy2828
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I live right next to that Lowe's and have looked there SEVERAL times! Thanks Shirley, I'll go there tomorrow. :) Christy

• vickster257
    17 years ago

I am wondering where this plant can be purchased in NJ. I have not seen it at my local Lowe's or in any nursery here. Why is this particular one a favorite as opposed to May night or the other salvias?

Would love to hear your opinion and also if you have seen it in a NJ store or nursery.

Vicki

• christy2828
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I did not find it at the Lowe's. I ended up ordering it online at Burpee.com. The reason I am looking for this Salvia in particular is because it attracts hummingbirds, and I like how it looks. Good luck, Vicki! Christy

• jenny_in_se_pa
    17 years ago

Vicki - I just found some at one of my local nurseries here this past Friday. They had just received the shipment of that and a number of other hummer salvias (eg., 'Argentine Skies') that day. I think that many of the summer bloomers are being held back by some nurseries until this 3rd week of May to make sure that they can avoid those late late frosts - particularly those places that don't have much greenhouse space. You might want to try doing the rounds again to see if any are now appearing at your favorite spots... I know that I've never seen any over here at Lowes, Wally World, or HD so I don't even bother looking at those places any more.

Sponsored