Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
reddbuffalo

Nandina 'Plum Passion,' beautiful, but hardy??

reddbuffalo
18 years ago

Hi. I would love to plant a bunch of Nandina "Plum Passion." their purple leaves are just so beautiful. BUT i hear that this plant may not be as hardy as some other nandinas as I don't want to lose my plant money!

Has anyone had experience with this plant? I am ever the optimist so I might need someone to rein me in!

Thanks!!

Comments (9)

• juliet11
    18 years ago

I live in Silver Spring, MD and have had two "Plum Passion" nandinas for about three years. They lose more leaves during the winter than the plain species and "Gulf Stream" nandinas that I also have. By the end of winter my "Plum Passions" are almost leafless. But they leaf out and are beautiful by late spring. I prune several of the oldest stems to the ground early each spring so that the plant will stay bushier. They sucker a bit from the roots and will send up new shoots up to about a foot away from the main base of the shrub. Mine flower fine, but do not have many berries. Their leaves are a fine texture and a beautiful purplish red.

Juliet

• reddbuffalo
    Original Author
    18 years ago

thanks so much! so helpful! thanks!!!!!!!!!!!! lori

• cfillio
    18 years ago

Hey Juliet

I live nearby in Alexandria. With the snow from the past week or two, our Plum Passion took on quite a bit of the white stuff and started drooping over (but did not break). Last year this was not an issue since it was still too small to take on any significant weight of snow.

Do you know if it is recommended that Plum Passions be covered/shielded from winter snow? The one I have is appx. 6+' high.

Thanks!

• juliet11
    18 years ago

Hi cfillio,

My two Plum Passions are also drooping a bit after the weight of the snow. Sorry I can't answer your question about protecting them for the winter - I've never tried to protect them and I don't know if that's recommended.

Mine always look pretty bad by the end of winter (they lose most of their leaves), so I cut them back quite a bit (to about 3 or 3.5 feet)in the spring. Once it gets warm they grow back quickly. I think that if I didn't cut them back (I also cut a couple of the oldest, woodiest stems to the ground each spring) all the new leaves would grow at the top and the shrubs would be bare on the bottoms.

Juliet

• landsendli
    9 years ago

I have 3 or 4 of these beauties, which have been planted for at least 5 years in my front yard on Long Island, NY. We have had a number of extremely harsh winters and they continue to amaze me...they are totally evergreen and absolutely gorgeous year-round. They get very little sun where I have them planted and still does not seem to bother them. I can't understand why they are not more popular. I don't try to protect them and give them very little care. The soil is fairly damp, they seem to like that.

• roserobin_gw
    5 years ago

how tall does this variety get? and does it prefer sun or shade?

• CEFreeman_GW DC/MD Burbs 7b/8a
    5 years ago

Well, mine is just over 5' and Nandinas don't really care about sun or shade. I have some in both and they both berry up and their color is lovely. I have Domestica, Alba, Harbor something, Fireball, Plum Passion and a couple others. Mostly in full sun, but a few in shade.

• roserobin_gw
    5 years ago

great thanks

Sponsored
Michael Nash Design, Build & Homes
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars254 Reviews
Northern Virginia Design Build Firm | 18x Best of Houzz