Return to the Mid-Atlantic Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Nandina 'Plum Passion,' beautiful, but hardy??

Posted by reddbuffalo Zone 7 DC (My Page) on
Wed, May 4, 05 at 1:38

Hi. I would love to plant a bunch of Nandina "Plum Passion." their purple leaves are just so beautiful. BUT i hear that this plant may not be as hardy as some other nandinas as I don't want to lose my plant money!

Has anyone had experience with this plant? I am ever the optimist so I might need someone to rein me in!
Thanks!!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Nandina 'Plum Passion,' beautiful, but hardy??

I live in Silver Spring, MD and have had two "Plum Passion" nandinas for about three years. They lose more leaves during the winter than the plain species and "Gulf Stream" nandinas that I also have. By the end of winter my "Plum Passions" are almost leafless. But they leaf out and are beautiful by late spring. I prune several of the oldest stems to the ground early each spring so that the plant will stay bushier. They sucker a bit from the roots and will send up new shoots up to about a foot away from the main base of the shrub. Mine flower fine, but do not have many berries. Their leaves are a fine texture and a beautiful purplish red.

Juliet

o

thanks so much! so helpful! thanks!!!!!!!!!!!! lori

o

Hey Juliet

I live nearby in Alexandria. With the snow from the past week or two, our Plum Passion took on quite a bit of the white stuff and started drooping over (but did not break). Last year this was not an issue since it was still too small to take on any significant weight of snow.

Do you know if it is recommended that Plum Passions be covered/shielded from winter snow? The one I have is appx. 6+' high.

Thanks!

o

Hi cfillio,

My two Plum Passions are also drooping a bit after the weight of the snow. Sorry I can't answer your question about protecting them for the winter - I've never tried to protect them and I don't know if that's recommended.

Mine always look pretty bad by the end of winter (they lose most of their leaves), so I cut them back quite a bit (to about 3 or 3.5 feet)in the spring. Once it gets warm they grow back quickly. I think that if I didn't cut them back (I also cut a couple of the oldest, woodiest stems to the ground each spring) all the new leaves would grow at the top and the shrubs would be bare on the bottoms.

Juliet

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Mid-Atlantic Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here