Return to the Mid-Atlantic Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Need some advice-Scotch Broom

Posted by drtynails z7 MD (My Page) on
Sat, May 21, 05 at 7:32

Yesterday's storms that blew through Maryland did quite a number on my Scotch Broom. It seems to have parted the shrub in the middle and it is now splayed in front of my gate. It doesn't seem to be damaged other than the branches are now severely arced. It was in need of pruning back this year and we were going to cut it back after it finished blooming. Right now it stands about five foot tall...that is when it is standing.

Should I tie it up around the middle to hold it upright? I need help. My husband is ready to dig it out but it is doing so well where it is. It has been there for a few years so it is well established. We just can't get through the gate now.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Need some advice-Scotch Broom

Feel free to tie it up, then prune later. It might be best to put a stake near it to tie it to, however.

o

Same thing has happened to my two Lena's. Although at this point I think it's mostly the weight of the wet, open flowers weighing the brances down.

What have been people's experiences in pruning these things? I've read conflicting reports about cutting into old wood. I've been lax in pruning mine (about 3 years old and need it) and am not sure what I'll try. Maybe prune most of the brnaches halfway down int o the "green" wood and cut a few back much further down and hope for the best.

Larry

o

Hmm..
Mine is only 2 years old and glorious. I had to stake it last year, which is still in place. It's about 3' tall, but wider this year. I had no idea one should prune them!

I recall years ago my aunt had one. It flopped over, so she tied it to the fence. It's all good.

Mine is 'Garnet' and living up to its name! Yeah!
Christine

o

Here's a picture from year 2. They've now grown up a bit and the bottom 12-18 inches is old wood and looks leggy. If I had been pruning all along it might have delayed this problem a bit.

Here is a link that might be useful: Broom 'Lena'

o

• Posted by vladpup z7a S. Maryland (My Page) on
    Thu, May 26, 05 at 9:36

G'Day!
Beautiful! Thanks for the link!
happy gardening,
-vlad

o

a great resource for pruning: www.plantamnesty.org.

PRUNING BY HABIT

II. MOUNDS

Look like mounds and are medium-tough plants, found in mass plantings. They have small leaves and supple branches. You usually just want to tidy them up or reduce their size. People like to shear these -- don't you! Examples of mounds are abelias, escallonia, barberries and broom. orange. Locate the longest, most unruly branch. Grab the tip with your left hand. Follow the branch down into the interior of the plant with your right-hand pruners, and snip it off two inches to one foot below the general surface level of your shrub. Cut to a side branch or bud, if possible.

These shrubs often benefit from taking out some of the old canes to their base. This opens up and renews the shrub. Any dead wood or weeds should also be removed.

o

Arent the flowers beautiful on the broom plant.Mine is blooming now.I liked it for its different look surprise it bloomed

o

I think I let my scotch broom get really ill. It looks all dead and dried out. The base of the plant still looks green and when I cut some twigs off it is still green undeneath. do you think I killled it?

o

• Posted by elizh z5/6 MA (My Page) on
    Sat, Mar 27, 10 at 20:27

I've had difficulty staking mine, over the last couple of years -- they get buried by the snowplows, and have too many stems for a stake in the center to do much. I think now I'm going to try using three or four stakes, and weaving them with wire or twine. So far the only pruning needed has been removing dead bits. They have grown back well even with significant top damage, as Sally hopefully knows by now...

o

same problem as sally, looks dead after a late summer transplant (about 2 feet away from where it was) do they regenerate?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Mid-Atlantic Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here