Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cfmuehling

Up for a little digging?

cfmuehling
17 years ago

Hi all!

It's my yearly Don't-Want-It-Anymore Day!

Yes, early this year, but still probably worthwhile. :)

I would like to give away:

roughly 20 Nandina 'Belle Harbor' and/or 'Harbor Dwarf' bushes

Clethera 'Hummingbird'

Assorted lilacs, their shoots and very old bushes

a large, 30-year old, white hydragea. (Very nice.)

I have a lot of ornamental grasses that can be divided

If you're brave and successful at this, all my crape myrtles are putting out shoots.

You would need to come prepared to dig 'em yourself. I'll be happy to supervise!

My house is only a shell, (the bathroom functional, but missing doors), so I have only unfiltered, sulphur-smelling water, very few pots, and only tape and a pen for labeling. Truly a bring-your-own situation.

I would like to do this on either June 3, about 11:00, or June 17, same time. But please, one or the other. If you're interested, please reply here because I'm on a terribly slow dial-up at this temproary house. It causes me to lose much of my email somehow.

Let me know if you're interested and it'll be a date!

Thanks,

Christine

Comments (10)

• faerieannette
    17 years ago

Assorted lilacs, their shoots and very old bushes
    a large, 30-year old, white hydragea. !!!!!

oh I would lovvveeee the hydrangea!
    do you think that the lilac would be able to handle my shady yard? I have a sunnier spot in the back? I love lilac. my grandmother had one i remember he being so fond of. I do miss her and every time I see a lilac I think of her. You know I do have a spot where that wegeia was that has a good bit of sun. How far from the house should it be?

I can come either day!!!

thanks!

Annette

• cfmuehling
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Let's see. :)

The lilac needs 6-8 hours of sun to bloom. It will probably skip the year after transplant, though, to reestablish. Also, they bloom on old wood, so be careful about pruning.
    Digging them out will vary in difficulty. They're old, but spindly because they're not getting enough sun now. I think big sections could come out, along with many of their sprouts. These are 18'' + tall.

The hydrangea might need an upper-body-strong, large human, a chain saw, or a bush hog to get it out. I'm thinking even of chopping it down into the ground to take it and some roots out by sections.

As far as how far from the house? I think it would depend upon the direction of the sun. They'll grow towards it and not out behind where the shade falls.

One vote for either day.... check!

C.

• dawnstorm
    17 years ago

I would be interested in the ornamental grasses.

• madsquopper
    17 years ago

If Cathy and I make it, we can only do it on the 17th since on the 3rd we'll be getting ready for the garden tour. I'm not sure we need any plants (maybe a nandina or two). It's more an excuse to see your place, and also dump off a bunch of junky invasives.

Larry

• faerieannette
    17 years ago

Gosh what kind of hydrangea is it? we do have a chain saw and an ax. I will have to have my husband help. I think it will take more then my couple of aspirins and 2 beers to get through this job. lol!

I think that spot I want to put the lilac will work. I have some roses there that I wanted to move anyway.

I am very excited!!!

My husband is going to kill meÂ

Thanks!!!

• faerieannette
    17 years ago

I just had time to google "Clethera 'Hummingbird' " likes shade!! attracts wildlife!!! I just might have to take that one too!

I got some columbine seeding do you want me to bring them?

• cfmuehling
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Sure. Always love columbine. :)

So we have a vote for the 17th. At this point, that's the leader. :)

Love to have you, too, Larry and Kathy.

Annette, I don't know the type of hydrangea, but it's white and has giant, GIANT white balls of flowers.

Christine

• faerieannette
    17 years ago

from what I have read it sounds like a pee gee. But I am certaintly no expert. I thought they needed more sun but it looks like from what I have read on these boards that they will thrive just about anywhere. I am excited!!! did I say that all ready! yippie!

I don't know what type of columbine they are (everything got mixed up) so I guess you will be surprised next year!

I will write the 17th on the calender!

I am also excited about seeing your garden!!!

thanks,

Annette

• faerieannette
    17 years ago

yay! tomorrow!!!
    are we still on? I need directions.

-Annette

• madsquopper
    17 years ago

Unfortunately we're likely not to make it. If Cathy wakes up tomrrow and her tooth is stil hurting she'll probably go back in hopefully tomorrow. She was at the dentist today and he said there was a 50/50 chance that the fix he did wouldn't be enough, so he gave her some high powered prescription just in case (looks like some sort of codeine drug) and to call back tomorrow. By dinner she had to stop and get the prescription filled, but at least the stuff works. It's so damn dry that I'd be wary of digging up plants anyway.

The small crape myrtle you gave me last fall leafed out fine and looks great. What type was it? Can't remember, other than it was red.

Larry

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES