Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
secausey

Parking lot garden challenge

scausey
15 years ago

Hi -- I need some suggestions. I volunteered to be responsible for the upkeep of an island in our church parking lot, which currently has two small cherry trees and umpteen scraggly junipers. I took out a lot of dead branches and a couple of completely dead shrubs, so now I'm left with a sizeable hole in the middle. Do you suppose these shrubs are just showing the effect of the drought last year? Should they be fertilized?

The outer edges get walked on all the time, so I'm just replenishing the mulch for now. Any suggestions about what might possible grow in the dry shade in the middle? If I leave it open, it will invite becoming a walkway. Thanks!

Susan

Comments (9)

• graywings123
    15 years ago

Rather than fertilize, I would add composted leaves to the soil, and maybe try to aerate the soil, since it is probably compacted.

How large an area is it?

• scausey
    Original Author
    15 years ago

the space is an elongated diamond shape about 2 car-lengths long and about 12 feet across at the widest part. It would take a truck load of compost to replenish. The ends have been walked on for 5 years, so I hesitate to try to plant anything. I was wondering weather stepping stones would alleviate the compacted soil and would allow me to plant a few things to give it some color.

• sharon21144
    15 years ago

How about Hostas? Some of the varieties I have will grow in very dry, even dry clay soil, once established.

• scausey
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Now that's a good idea! I actually have some that I could dig that would be decent candidates. Clay is all we have here, so you need spend lots of time on amending. Thanks for the suggestion! Susan

• runktrun
    15 years ago

I don't mean to be a stick in the *clay* mud but you might want to reconsider hostas under a cherry tree. I know from first hand experience that the flower petals from the cherry tree will fall and attach like glue to the hosta leaves and look horrendous all season long. Perhaps a smaller leaved plant such as azalea might be a better choice. kt

• eibren
    15 years ago

A large-growing rhododendron might also help to fill that "middle" space, and it would appreciate the cherry tree shade. Forsythia would be nice, too, for a less formal effect, and it would tend to grow faster.

Some of the lower-growing viburnums are very tough plants, and would soon stop the idea of using the middle as a footpath--unless you want to create a little naturalistic path through it, bordered by some woodland plants. ;o)
    In that case, I would suggest lots of Lily-of-the Valley, interspersed with things like bluebells (I'm sure the Woodland forum would have many suggestions for that).

You could also consider some of the tall-growing grasses for the sunnier, more walked-on spots, which could soften the symmetrical look produced by the two cherry trees.

If you include some native shrubs and plants, you might be able to create an island paradise for birds, maybe even with a birdbath!

• scausey
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks for the warning about the stuck cherry petals, kt; I think this place might be too dry and hot to really be good for hostas on second thought. I do like the idea of a "path" and have lots of lily of the valley and blue bells to spare. I need to do some research on the viburnum. I really would like to just dig up most of the junipers, but I don't think my back could take it!

• chrismd
    15 years ago

Susan - I did similar for our library parking lot. Let me think about it, but in the meantime I have a lot of blue spruce sedum that does fabulous. You can have in in a few weeks when I clean the beds. It covers an 4x4 inch space from a twig in one season and is rock hardy.

Christina

• scausey
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Christina - that sounds like a great idea! Thanks -- let me know when you're ready and I'll send you my contact info.
    Susan

Sponsored
Fresh Pointe Studio
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators | Delaware County, OH