Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sotodog

Strawberries

sotodog
15 years ago

New gardener here. I live in Harford County, MD (north of Balt) and would like to plant strawberries. I'm guessing I should have planted them already though. What do I need to do to grow strawberries? We also have a lot of bunnies in our area. Will they eat the strawberries?

Comments (6)

• manure_queen
    15 years ago

contact either the home and garden center in elicott city or your county Ag extension.

• graywings123
    15 years ago

I think you can still buy strawberry seedlings. Yes, rabbits eat strawberries. You can grow them nicely in pots, however.

• crabjoe
    15 years ago

Just setup a nice bed then plant away.

My experience is as follows. I planted a few, when I say a few, I mean like 3 or 4 plants in June. I kept them watered well that year and they grew runners and multiplied. No strawberries that 1st year, but from those few plants, I ended up with plenty by fall.

Then Spring came. With Spring, I had even more plants. Then by late May, I had way more strawberries then I needed.

This bed was started '05 and it's still going strong. All I do is clean out about have the plants in late fall and I seem to have more then enough for the bunnies I see from time to time.

Me, I'm more worried about bunnies in my veggie garden, berries... I have no problem with sharing them.

BTW, I'm just across the river in Cecil Co.

• babywatson
    15 years ago

I thought strawberries were annual fruits. Do the plants actually overwinter here? I am in Virginia.

I planted a bunch in a strawberry jar back in April. Some berries are turning red but as my daughter found out yesterday when she bit into one, they're still pretty sour.

• aka_peggy
    15 years ago

Strawberries are very hardy as far north as Canada. They turn red on the side facing the sun 1st. They are soooo sweet when fully ripe.

It's odd but I have a rabbit that thinks my garden is his personal hangout and the only thing he's eaten is my asparagus peas. He tried to make a bed in the middle of the strawberry patch but he doesn't eat the strawberries. Strange rabbit.

• LynneinMD
    15 years ago

That is a strange rabbit. Is it a cottontail or maybe a stray/escaped house rabbit??

Sotodog, watch out for the strawberries that grow as weeds here - they have yellow blossoms (not white) and do not produce edible berries - they look edible but taste nasty. I wish they were edible, they're all over my yard!

Lynne

Sponsored