Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
treehouse_gw

Two Questions

treehouse
18 years ago

1. Someone gave me an iris at the spring swap 2 years ago and I don't remember the name of it. I do know, however, that it is the colors of the Washington Redskins. It is getting ready to bloom and I want to make a nice fancy name plate for it. Who remembers?

2. The next one is interesting- does the ornamental grass 'sea oats' reseed? I have *weeds* near the original clump that look like the mama. Do I yank them or do I save them for transplant?

Jan

Comments (5)

• cynthia_gw
    18 years ago

Thinking maybe the grass you're asking about is chasmanthium latifolium? If so, that does seed quite a bit. But nice grass for shade so I tolerate it. I don't do well with common names or sports teams, so what color are the Redskin's uniforms?

• treehouse
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Redskin colors are maroon and yellowish-gold.
    I think LynneT or Christine gave it to me. Which one is the football fan?

Jan

• lynnt
    18 years ago

Hey, don't say that -- I am no sports fan! I didn't own a TV for nine years, and only bought one last winter because my sweetie Richard is into football. But my Redskins-fanatic neighbor has painted his house maroon and gold (which actually came out more like magenta and mustard, very third world) so I know their colors.

If I gave that iris to you, the answers to a couple more questions can narrow down its identity.

First, are the petals that hang down (the "falls") maroon edging on a gold center, or solid maroon?

If the former, it is likely to be INNOCENT STAR, a California rebloomer. That iris is a color pattern called "plicata", where the fall edges are peppered or stitched with a dark color over a lighter ground -- in this case beet-red over pale yellow -- and the "standards," the three big standing petals, are yellow peppered all over with plum.

If the latter (and the standards are gold), it's probably one of two plants: BLATANT, or an unknown variegata (the name for this color pattern, after a wild iris species that's colored this way) I stole from the overcrowded beds at the Carroll County Farm Museum a few years back.

To tell which variegata it is, does it rebloom in the fall? If so, it's BLATANT. If not, it could still be either one since BLATANT didn't rebloom for me the first year or so I had it. BLATANT tends to bloom a bit earlier than the Carroll Museum iris, too; I have a stalk of BLATANT on my desk no, while Carroll Museum won't open for another week.

If it's a variegata with a thin rim of gold outside the maroon, then it's KILT LILT -- a historic iris I had and lost, and I'd love to have a piece back.
    Does that help? Which do you think it might be?

LynnT

• treehouse
    Original Author
    18 years ago

They have not bloomed as of this writing. But for some reason 'Innocent Star' sounds familiar. Could you have given it to me at the Lancaster swap eons ago?

Right now I have them in a dumb place with dappled shade. I was going to move them to a sunnier spot until I saw the bloom stalk. I'll move them after the blooms finish.

If they are open before Sat., I'll snap a digi of it to show you.

This is exciting.

Jan

• treehouse
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Innocent Star it is. It was gorgeous. Took some pics. Will learn to post one sooner or later.

Jan