Return to the Mid-Atlantic Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Where to buy clay soil in Montgomery County MD?

Posted by evelyn.ann none (My Page) on
Tue, May 21, 13 at 10:39

I am looking to purchase clay-rich/ clay-based soil. If anyone knows of vendors in Maryland, I would appreciate hearing of them.

I know clay soil is usually something we want to get rid of; but I want something to place around my foundation to repel water. Something that can be packed down well and compacted.

Thanks all!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Where to buy clay soil in Montgomery County MD?

Ha! I did think this was a joke at first.

I have no idea where you could buy some, but when I first moved here I would have PAID you to come take mine away!

By the way, my little girl is an Evelyn Anne! Great name. :)

o

what u need to do is contact some pool companies. when they install an inground pool they charge to haul the earth and its a rip off because they can sell it on the open market a lot of the time. just make sure you have a rough estimate of how many yards u need so they know how many trucks to send. if they install ingound pools...they have dirt. good luck!!! if u dont need enough dirt so they will deliver it u can ask them where they dump it! i did exactly what u are doing on the side of my house and it worked like a charm, i dug a trench next to where i wanted the soil and used the soil from the trench to pack next to my house...instant irrigation ditch easily covered with mulch (the mulch doesnt last that long). also since u will be shortening the distance from the ground to your siding, make sure u treat for bugs.

o

Thank you both! Pool companies, great idea!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Mid-Atlantic Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here