Return to the Mid-Atlantic Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
japanese iris in this area

Posted by philipw2 7 MD/DC (My Page) on
Tue, May 17, 11 at 10:47

I suddenly want some japanese iris for my yard. But when I went to check things out at the iris forum, there seemed to be agreement that japanese iris (or JI as they call them in the iris forum) do not do well in zone 7. They have to be transplanted every 3 years or they become buggy, exhaust the soil and have other work-inducing downsides. However, I noticed that, although the complainers were zone 7, they weren't our zone 7.

So what has been the experience of people in this region with japanese iris?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: japanese iris in this area

I tried some small starts a few years ago, in an area that probably had too much shade and competition for them. They are supposed to tolerate shade better than other iris, though. Also, it's my understanding they like moisture, and although I have heavy clay soil, the spot I planted them in gets quite dry in late summer. In any case, they disappeared, as so many things do in my heavy clay soil and shady garden.

If you really want some, I would acquire some full-sized ones already well rooted and actively growing in pots, and then place them in a site which is entirely to their liking, and without any serious competition. In other words, plant tham at the season they prefer, at the lighting and moisture level they want, and with the soil type and drainage they prefer. They are sold here in local garden shops, so some must be having success with them.

If you have a site with good drainage and full sun, you might consider bearded iris instead. They will do well as long as their corms are not planted too deeply. I had to place mine on top of the soil and stabilize with rocks to keep them from rotting.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Mid-Atlantic Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here