Return to the Mid-Atlantic Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Zinnias / Skinny Flower Bed

Posted by karoni 6b/7a (My Page) on
Tue, May 8, 12 at 10:56

I am a novice gardener and am looking for some advice. I have a very skinny flower bed next to my sidewalk. It is one foot wide by thirteen feet long. It gets lots of sun. I'd like to plant zinnias there this May and I'd like them to be prolific--really take up the whole bed--as opposed to being planted with lots of space between them. How many zinnias would you buy and how far apart (or close) would you plant them?

Thanks for any replies.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Zinnias / Skinny Flower Bed

Do seeds; that would be a lot cheaper. You can sow them directly in the soil at this point. Get the compact, bushy plants and figure on spacing 6 inches apart if you really want them packed in.

Larry

o
RE: Zinnias / Skinny Flower Bed

I have mine planted about 10" apart and it looks nice and full without being overcrowded... yet.

Nel

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Mid-Atlantic Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here