Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
spanaval

Does anyone know why...

spanaval
16 years ago

I can't find bean seedlings for sale anywhere? They're DH's favorite veggie. I checked a few places around here (Merrifield, Betty's, HD) and while they had just about everything else, no sign of beans. If anyone can find bush bean seedlings please let me know.

I live in Fairfax, but will be going to Vlad's memorial on Saturday, and will gladly reimburse anyone that can get a couple of plants for me, in case you find one at a nursery that is really out of the way.

Comments (9)

• cfmuehling
    16 years ago

Oh, shoot!
    I've been looking for a caster oil bean seedling (or whatever it's called). Didn't see them anywhere!

Suja, you'll be seconds away from several nurseries when you pass through my road. There's always a chance!
    C.

• spanaval
    Original Author
    16 years ago

How 'bout this? I promise to check my nearby nurseries for your bean plant (and pick one up; yes, I know to look for the ones with burgundy foliage) if you promise to check for mine.

Came across a thread about them, which said that you can directly sow seeds into the ground after the weather is sufficiently warm. There are a few on eBay that you might be interested in.

• cfmuehling
    16 years ago

Sure. :)
    C.

• beth_b_kodiak
    16 years ago

I have never seen Bean plants or seedlings for sale. Maybe it is because they are too easy from seed or you need to many to get a "crop" or they just don't transplant.
    Never thought about it, I just plant the seeds. I'll be watching with curiosity to see if you find them.
    BB

• lynnt
    16 years ago

Beans and peas don't transplant well; you can start them in peat pots, but they do just as well in rows out in the beds.

My castor beans are just starting to come up -- if anyone wants some, there will be dozens available in about a week. (If I have time I will see if I can put some in cups to bring to Eric's Saturday.

LynnT

• sujiwan_gw 6b MD/PA
    16 years ago

I agree--bean seeds are so easy to start and dislike being transplanted. It's a DIYer. Generally you don't plant until a week or two after last frost anyway.

• spanaval
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Huh. Who would've thunk it? I suppose I should get a pack of bean seeds and get those planted then. And it sounds like it's not too late anyway.

Christine, I checked for your castor bean plant. The nurseries said they carry all sorts of purply/pinky foliage plant (and hyacinth bean), but don't carry this because there is not a demand for highly toxic plants. They may have seeds, however.

Merrifield had this gorgeous Coleus with very deep, dark foliage, among other things. Didn't know if you'd be interested.

Suja

• watergal
    16 years ago

I've never seen castor bean seedlings for sale. Probably too big of a liability if someone's kid chomped on it. But the seeds are VERY easy to grow. Too bad you didn't let me know before the swap; I gave all mine away since I recently got a dog who thinks he's a herbivore!

• cynthia_gw
    16 years ago

Suja, I was looking for herbs at Home Depot today and found a section of beans! They were in the same area as the other veggie starts.

Sponsored
Hoppy Design & Build
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Northern VA Award-Winning Deck ,Patio, & Landscape Design Build Firm