Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bonni_gw

Paw Paw

bonni
17 years ago

Has anyone tried growing a Paw Paw. I have never seen them in the stores so I was wondering what the success rate was in the baltimore area. They sound delicious and would like to try one out.

Thanks

Bonni

Comments (8)

• Dundalk_Gardener
    17 years ago

My Mother has started growing 2 of these. They are still small but are growing.

They are native to the Chesapeake Bay Watershed. So plant away.

• geoforce
    17 years ago

I have 5 or 6 from seed and one named variety grafted one I got from a friend. They do well here, but are fairly slow growers. None of mine are fruiting size yet, but a friend has a patch which produce well. Get a named variety from a nursery to guarantee a good fruit. Most of the seedlings are small fruit with lots of large seed, so it's a bit harder to enjoy them. Cold, moist stratification is necessary to germinate the seed.

George

• wrighthouse
    17 years ago

Two years ago, I planted three that I found after calling about a dozen nurseries. Only one is still alive. The others disappeared this past winter--deer, I think. Now I'm looking for some more to plant--and protect with an electric fence, this time.

• winged_mammal
    17 years ago

i planted a 1 gallon about 3 or 4 years ago in total shade. its doing great but growing slowly. you should have 2 for cross pollination so at some point i want to plant a few more. they are hard to find a nurseries/ garden centers. i see them all the time mountain biking around MD, usually near creeks.

• cindy-6b/7a VA
    17 years ago

I was told that the deer love them - plant and all.

But I would still like to try them since they are native.

Cindy

• gene_washdc
    17 years ago

I transplanted several to my orchard late last summer that I'd purchased from Neal Peterson, who's quite well known for his breedings efforts with the pawpaw. I've also added more this spring from other sources. I have lots of deer who've been chopping down on my new cherries, apricots, etc., but no problems with pawpaws, except one initial nibble. I think there are chemical properties of the bark and leaves that keep deer from eating it.

Here's more information from the Pawpaw Information Web Site:

"In its native habitat the pawpaw has few pests of any importance. The worst pest is Talponia plummeriana, the pawpaw peduncle borer, a small moth larva (about 5 mm long) that burrows into the fleshy tissues of the flower, causing the flower to wither and drop. In some years this borer is capable of destroying the majority of blossoms. Another pest is Eurytides marcellus, the zebra swallowtail butterfly, whose larvae feed exclusively on young pawpaw foliage, but never in great numbers. The adult butterfly is of such great beauty that this should be thought more a blessing than a curse. Sometimes the fruit surface may be covered with patches that are hard and black; this is a fungus infection, but it seldom has any effect on flavor or edibility. Deer will not eat the leaves or twigs, but they will eat fruit that has dropped on the ground. Male deer occasionally damage trees by rubbing their antlers on them in winter. Outside its native region, the pawpaw is sometimes reported to be plagued by pests, but this may be because of poor tree health resulting from the stress of improper soils and an unsuitable climate."

• Scott F Smith
    17 years ago

I have nine or so pawpaws, they are easy to grow and no problems with the deer. They take a few years to get going so that is the hardest part. Just take good care of them the first few years and don't expect a lot of growth. Once they are established they are easy. I don't know about the fruit yet, this is their fourth year and my first year for any fruit. They can take from full sun to mostly shade. If they are in deep shade you will get very few fruits. I bought all mine from mail-order outfits including Neal Peterson who is probably the best if a bit pricey.

Scott

• cfmuehling
    17 years ago

I always look at these in the Miller Nursery catalogue. I grew up in Michigan, where we'd go to the Paw Paw (, Michigan) Wine Festival every fall. I've never tased a Paw Paw fruit, though, but thought they look interesting!

I'd be interested, Scott, in what you think the fruit tastes like when you're able to pick it. :)

Christine

Sponsored
Grow Landscapes
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Planning Your Outdoor Space in Loundon County?