Return to the Mid-Atlantic Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
black walnut

Posted by DCar65 none (My Page) on
Sat, May 18, 13 at 12:17

We have a black walnut tree and want to plant a fringe tree (chionanthus virginicus), which is not compatible with a black walnut. Is 40' away far enough away? How far is far enough.?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: black walnut

I found this online:

The extent of the damage depends on how resistant a particular species is to juglone, and the amount of physical contact the plant has with the black walnut roots. Root contact, or close physical proximity to the roots (within ¼"-½"), seems to be necessary before the actual harm is done.

How big is the drip line of your walnut? If it were me, I would think 40 feet is plenty of distance.

o
RE: black walnut

According to Ohio State University Cooperative Extension, although there are many plants that are tolerant of juglone, there are also many that will not grow within 50 feet of the drip line of a black walnut.

http://ohioline.osu.edu/hyg-fact/1000/1148.html

Although fringe tree is not on most lists of juglone tolerant plants, Morton Arboretum does list it as such.

http://www.mortonarb.org/tree-plant-advice/article/887/plants-tolerant-of-black-walnut-toxicity.html

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Mid-Atlantic Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here