Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
samzen

tomato cage wire mesh

samzen
16 years ago

Hello... After siginificant reserach, I've come to the conclusion that I shoudl build wire mesh tomato cages (like what is used for construction). Does anyone know where I can find a supplier in the DC area?

Comments (13)

• kaffeina
    16 years ago

I don't know but I can tell you that someone at my community garden uses them and they always have gobs and gobs of tomoatoes done up really nicely on them.

• samzen
    Original Author
    16 years ago

yeah... that's why I need to find some. This year I am trying my best to have a banner toamto crop. So please advise where I can find some wire mesh.

• LynneinMD
    16 years ago

I don't know a lot about tomato cages but I do know a little bit about fencing... Check Home Depot/Lowe's/your local Hardware store for play yard fence or hardware cloth. Play yard fence has I think 2x3 inch squares, and you can get hardware cloth in various sizes but I'm not sure how large they get. Just tell them what you want to use it for and a lot of times the people there can be very helpful.

Hope this is of some help..

Lynne

• sfmiller
    16 years ago

The best material is concrete reinforcing wire. It's strong but bendable, lasts for years, and comes in 7-foot widths, so you can make tall cages. And the holes are big enough to reach a big hand through.

I've seen it at some big-box stores. Any concrete supply house would carry it.

You'll need a good pair of metal snips or shears to cut this stuff. Be careful when bending or cutting it--the cut ends are sharp. Wear work gloves and eye protection. Seriously.

Steven

• sandra_christie
    16 years ago

Like Steven, I used concrete reinforcing wire. I got mine at Home Depot - in the far reaches of the store. They had to go to the off-limits outdoor storage to get it, and not everyone knew about it.
    Am using for the third year now with no problems. The only thing is, they rust, so they are not pretty. As mentioned, glove and eye protection is a must when making them.

• samzen
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Found a constructyion supply store on Kennelworth Ave that provided the mesh i was lookign for... $62/ 5x150 feet. I spent most of Saturday making 20 tomato cages... they came out great. Now trhat I'm finished I do have a tip though... use bolt cutters to easily cut through the wire. I used 10-gauge wire mesh and cutting the first two by hand was a challenge, so i went out and bought bolt cutrters for $20 and the job becase a dream. Thanks all for your help. I look forwqrd to many good years of use.

• LynneinMD
    16 years ago

I was at Home Depot this weekend and they had very sturdy looking tomato cages for very low prices.

Samzen, can you post a picture of one of your cages? They sound very strong/nice.

Lynne

• sandra_christie
    16 years ago

Lynne,
    The Tomato forum is also discussing this topic, and one person posted a picture of cages made from the concrete reinforcing wire.
    http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/tomato/msg051703171887.html?33

• rebar_tie_wire
    15 years ago

could you post a picture of the tomato cage? we are manufacturer of wire mesh in China,so i think i can give you some advice as soon as i see the pic.

• jacob_mm
    15 years ago

Here is the picture I found on a blog which shows concrete wire mesh tomato cages. I have tried them for years with great success.

Here is a link that might be useful: http://yourhomegardenblog.com/vegetable-gardening/constructing-tomato-cages-using-wire-mesh

• fmart322
    15 years ago

I've been using them for years as well, great stuff. Also, if you plants get to big for the, you can cut one in half and stack it on top of that. Works great. I also rip cut 2x4's to make stakes for the cages, so they don't tip ove and wire them. Very strong.

When cutting them from the roll, start at the one end and skip the first spot to cut it and start at the second spot. Work down the line till you are finished. Then go back and clip the 1st one. This way the wire won't clip you in the legs and cut you. Just a sugestion.

• mikemyers
    14 years ago

I know of an Amish company in Lancaster County, PA that makes square heavy duty wire tomato cages.

• salatious_crumb
    14 years ago

You could use these guys, they have really good looking wire mesh:

http://bankerwire.com/banker_industrial.php

Here is a link that might be useful: http://bankerwire.com/banker_industrial.php

Sponsored
Re-Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Pittsburgh's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living