Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
meadow_lark

Just moved to Southern Maryland - Favorite Plant Nursery?

meadow_lark
15 years ago

Hi! I've finally arrived! Moved here from Alabama 3 weeks ago.

We are renting in Solomon's, but moving to our new home in Leonartown in about a month.

I would love to know what your favorite "Local" nursery is!

I must say that I went to the Wal-Mart in Lexington Park yesterday, and bought 12 different perennials for less than $3.00 each! LOL...

I'm heartsick about all of my lovely plants that I left behind in Huntsville, and will need to build all new gardens as soon as we settle in!

Comments (5)

• careyj
    15 years ago

Welcome to Calvert County. You will like Leonardtown too. There is a great nursery over in St. Marys called the Greenery. If you go over the bridge and make a right it is a couple miles on the right off a side road. UGH cant remember the name. There is a sign on 235 and the side road runs beside it. When you turn right you make a left at the flashing light. it is on the right. You will be able to see the side road and flashing light from 235.

If you get to a large cinderblock building that used to be Hyperspace you have gone too far.

Sorry my directions are soooo horrible. Never been good with them...

Carey

• Iris ( ranegrow ) z7 Maryland
    15 years ago

Hi Meadowlark, welcome to southern maryland ! I live in St Marys Co... It was a climate shock to me 6 years ago but I have learned to love the area and get used to the shorter spring / summer months ... one advantage - kale and collard greens love the cooler months ;-) I just posted a message in my tomato thread about 3 local greenhouses run by the Amish that is nearby ... check them out if you still need some plants , they are great !

• marymd7
    15 years ago

To get to the Greenery, from Rte 235, make a right on Clark's Landing Road and then and immediate left on Mervill Dean Road. The Greenery is just a short way up Mervill Dean Road on the right hand side. It is a good local nursery.

The best nursery in Maryland is Behnke's in Beltsville. Yes, it's a drive, but if you're at all serious about plants, the drive is worth it.

For Maryland natives as well as a lovely selection of non-invasive exotics for woodland/shade situations, I can't say enough good things about Lower Marlboro Nursery south of Dunkirk not far from Northern High School. Mary Stuart Sierra is one of Maryland's best native plantswomen and knows a ton about propagation and gardening.

The biggest nursery in southern Maryland is Wentworth's. The main store is in Charlotte Hall on Rte 5/235. There's also a smaller outpost south of Prince Frederick off of Route 4. I go to Wentworth's reasonably often for supplies, but am often annoyed by their selection and price and have hated every design/build I've seen that they've done (and they've done many landscapes in southern MD). Just because Wentworth's makes me cranky, however, doesn't mean you shouldn't check it out.

The Amish and Mennonite growers in St. Mary's are an excellent source for annuals and vegetable starts as well as some perennials. Check the farmers markets (I like the one at the library in Charlotte Hall) and watch for the auctions. There's a nursery auction every spring at Chesapeake Marketplace in St. Leonard where those growers show up.

Also good for annuals and with a few perennials and shrubs is Greenstreet Growers off of Rte 258 between Rte 4 and Rte 2. From Solomon's, head north on Rte 2/4, stay on Rte 2, make a left on Rte 258 and go a couple of miles down the road. Greenstreet is on the left.

If you can tolerate complete chaos check out Loch Less off of Rte 260 in Owings (the opposite side from where the Snead's Ace Hardware is in Owings). I haven't heard that Betty has closed, although I noticed recently that her sign is no longer there. Still, I wouldn't assume that means Loch Less is out of business. I would assume, rather, that the sign finally fell down and Betty hasn't gotten around to putting it back up. Which is a perfect metaphor of sorts for her entire business model.

The master gardener and other garden club plant sales are worth checking out in the spring.

• JohnnieB
    15 years ago

I'm not sure it counts as "southern" Maryland but last year a friend took me to Waldorf Pottery on Crain Highway (rt. 301) in White Plains. They had a great selection of plants in addition to pottery, statuary, etc.

• careyj
    15 years ago

Thank You marymd7 for clarifying the directions for meadow_lark.

See, I wasnt kidding about being bad with directions :)

Carey

PS I love Lower Marlboro Nursery

Sponsored
Fairfax Kitchen and Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars53 Reviews
DC Area's Top Rated Kitchen & Bath Remodeling Experts