Return to the Mid-Atlantic Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Hellebores in afternoon sun?

Posted by beanie34 z6b MD (My Page) on
Thu, May 17, 07 at 12:59

hi - new here, designing a front approach area. I'm thinking of using hellebore Lenten rose in an area that is shaded all morning, but gets lots of sun all afternoon, facing west. Will lenten rose wilt if I do that? I know they do best in shade & part shade, but will the heat & direct sun be a problem?

I like the shape, the flower color in late winter, and the deer resistance, and need an evergreen, ~2ft tall, to front the azaleas I'm planning on planting near the foundation.

I could use corral bells instead, but haven't seen any I particularly like... or perhaps a low growing juniper...

any suggestions?
Thanks!
beanie

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Hellebores in afternoon sun?

In my experience, my hellebore tolerate the afternoon sun well, as long as I remember to water. They tell me if I need to! Leaf burn hasn't been an issue. I've read on the hellebore forum that they're more sun tolerant than we give them credit for.

There are excellent heuchera that will take afternoon sun. They're semi-evergreen in that they do retain their foliage during the winter. It's not 2' tall, though. Remember that these have received full afternoon sun at my house where it never, ever rains. They might not work at your house. And of course, this list is far from complete, particularly when you consider you're a whole zone north of me.

(Purples) Obsidian, Black Beauty, Can Can, Plum Pudding, Vesuvius, Color of Beauty, Harmonic Convergence, Saturn's Rings,
(Greens) San Gineua (sp?), Florist's Choice, Splendens, Dale's Strain
(multi-colored leaves) Mardi Gras,
(Ambers) Carmel, Peach Melba,

Low-Growing junipers are so boring when there are so many interesting varieties out there.

I hope this helps?
Christine

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Mid-Atlantic Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here